Thursday, October 23, 2008

Bumps, blood, but no ER...must be a boy

Here's what Garrett got today. This is after I took him home, cleaned him up, and changed his clothes. Yesterday he got a big bump and bruise on his forehead. It's kind of hard to see in the picture. You can tell better in person. I should've taken a picture of it yesterday but I didn't. This picture was also taken today after I cleaned him up and changed him. As you can see with the big smile on his face that he is doing just fine now.


So my day started off pretty ordinary. We ate breakfast and got dressed and headed to the Rec Center so I could walk the track. On the way into the Rec Center Garrett decided he wanted to go walk around on the bricks that were surrounding a park bench. I tried telling Garrett to come and go inside but he was having too much fun walking on the bricks. So I sent Nikki over to help him down. I had meant for her to grab his hand and help him step down but she ended up grabbing him around the waste and lifting him down. As she tried to set him down he fell backward and hit the bricks with the back of his head.
I quickly went over to go help him and then realized he was bleeding and it started coming fast. So I scooped him up as fast as I could and ran him inside and to the bathroom. Some of the ladies who work there had noticed and came to help. I had layed Garrett down over the sink and was trying to wash the blood away. Then someone brought in paper towels and I was able to put some on the wound and it soon stopped bleeding. Meanwhile, Nikki was behind me freaking out about her little brother and worried to death. One of the gals who works there came and took Nikki to the playcenter so I could take care of Garrett. I had almost started to lose control myself because I was getting scared that the bleeding wouldn't stop. But it did after a little bit and I was fine after that. In fact, so was he. He had cried at first when I was washing him off but when I sat him up and was trying to clean up the blood all around his neck he was just calm.
They also had a life guard come look at him to make sure he was alright. In the end it looked more like a bump than a cut. They also gave me an ice pack to put on it. So after getting him as clean as I could I went to the playcenter and Nikki had calmed down by then and was coloring. I showed her that he was fine and then she didn't want to leave. I sat on the couch in there with Garrett for a minute trying to put the ice pack on him. Of course he kept moving to get away from it. Then he wanted down to go play with toys. But I decided I'd better take him home and get his clothes changed. Nikki was okay to leave after I told her that he needed his clothes changed because there was blood on them.

Then on the way out Nikki starts telling me "it's so sad, Daddy and Garrett....first Daddy is gone and now Garrett is hurt". I had to tell her everything was alright and that Garrett would be fine. So after getting him home and changed I decided to take a picture of his battle wound. And then I had to make sure that Nikki knew that it was an accident and that she was just trying to help me with Garrett. It was nobody's fault. And they both started playing again like nothing had happened.

So the other bruise that is on Garrett's forehead he had gotten yesterday from falling and bumping his head into the bathroom doorway. Everyone kept asking if that bump was from what happened today but I was like "nope, that's from yesterday". He's definitely a boy and a 2 yr old.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my! So glad Garrett's okay, and isn't Miss Nikki just funny?!?! And yes, he's definitely a boy - they're always wandering around with bumps & bruises, LOL!

ChrisandTamara said...

2 years old is a hazordous age. They are just so active and exlore everything. Glad he is okay. I've heard that head wounds do bleed a lot - look worse than are. Poor little guy. Poor Nikki too. So nice you had so many people come to help you. Sorry you didn't get your walk. Maybe tomorrow.

21st Century Homemaker said...

I am glad he is okay. What am I going to do if I have boys? I am not used to how tough boys can be.

Heather said...

oh the things I have to look forward to! Maybe I should just wrap Rowan in bubble wrap before taking him out :0) Good luck with two boys! I am sure Garrett will show him the ropes!

Vernie and Tony said...

Oh wow! Glad he's ok. Head injury's are scary! Before my kids all grew up I had everyone of them break an arm or leg.

Yikes, it's just starting!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Garrett is okay! I hope you are okay now, too. You are one tough lady! Poor Nikki, missing her daddy, he will be home soon!