It has been a very busy week! As you already know on Monday my grandma came over and helped me can my first batch of peaches. On Tuesday my dad went to the church orchard and brought me back a lot more peaches. So on Wednesday both my dad and my grandma came over and helped me can more peaches and make some peach jam. I also had the great blessing of being able to go down the street on Tuesday to pick some plums from a woman in our ward. I picked a whole bucket full. So on Thursday my mother in law came over and helped me make some plum jelly. I will also be making some fruit leather with some of it. Unfortunately I woke up with a sore throat on Thurs and by the end of the day was starting to get a runny & stuffy nose, ughh! I think my body was telling me that I wasn't getting enough sleep this week and working too hard. But I still made it over to my dad's Thurs night for the big BSU vs Oregon game. I kept debating on whether to leave early because the game didn't start until around 8. I stuck it out to the end and was glad to see our Broncos win! Unfortunately I got to bed at midnight and Jack woke me up at 5 am. Why doesn't he understand I need my sleep?
Since I am still sick today I decided not to go to the cabin this weekend and to try and take it easy, which is difficult to do sometimes.
I am also very excited about the fact that I am finally taking the steps to learn how to make my own baby food. The first food I tried was carrots and tonight I did zucchini. I'm so excited that I've figured this out and can't believe I didn't do this with the first two. It is so easy and is going to save us a lot of money!
Since I am still sick today I decided not to go to the cabin this weekend and to try and take it easy, which is difficult to do sometimes.
I am also very excited about the fact that I am finally taking the steps to learn how to make my own baby food. The first food I tried was carrots and tonight I did zucchini. I'm so excited that I've figured this out and can't believe I didn't do this with the first two. It is so easy and is going to save us a lot of money!
Total canned: 18 jars of plum jelly, 14 jars of peach jam, 21 quarts of canned peaches (And I'm not actually finished making the plum jelly yet so there will be about 4 or 5 more of those)
And here's a little tutorial on my baby food making process "Make Your Own Baby Food 101"
I did these carrots on Wednesday night. So after freezing in the ice cube tray I take them out and put them in freezer bags and back in the freezer until I need them.
I'm so proud of myself for finally doing this and I think I can say I'm done with buying baby food in jars. I'm loving my blender now. Yay!
7 comments:
You are extraordinarily brilliant. You have it harder then you know, you're just very good at managing your responsibilities. And I'm sure pioneer women wouldn't want to trade places with you. Your one in a Billion, and I love you.
Love,
Curtis
Awesome~! I'm sure the baby food will be better for Jack than the store bought stuff too!
It's very rewarding to learn to can. Keep up the good work!
sorry I deleted the comment above. Let me start again. You can slip that stuff into your meals too. Spaghetti and what not. You should check out the sneaky chef. Even if your kids eat veggies, she has some great ways to make meals healthier. She has a White puree of zuccinni and Colliflower. I just watched a video/recipe where she mixes it with potatoes and makes twice baked potatoes. If you google her you can get some of her free recipes. I want her cookbook.
Way to go Deedra! You are awesome! I have done some canning lately and loved it too. It really does make you feel good and a sense of accomplishment. I am going to do some plum preserves this week. Can you share with me your plum jelly recipe? Good luck with the rest of your canning!
GoooOOOOOOO!!!!!! Deedra!
I swear I poated on your post already.. I thought I wrote that I was inpressed! and that I'd love to learn about making my own baby food too! anyway, thanks for your comment on my post. I think right about now, I'd be going nuts if chris had to be gone for 11months. then again, I know there are just more details (missions for their group) that will take more than just 33 days. anyway, I'll be okay. I need to keep myself busier. If I could spend more than the 10 hours I spend at work, i'd be fine.
Post a Comment