Tuesday, September 6, 2022

A New School Year

With us moving a few miles away from our previous home we are still in the same city and school district but 3 of the kids started at new schools this year. Garrett was the lucky one who didn't have to change. It was a little rough trying to get records moved and make sure the other 3 kids were on the new school's schedules but things have smoothed out and we've now gotten into a routine. And not only was it rough in that way but all of us ended up getting sick. It started with Jack and then Garrett getting coughs, fever, chills, headaches. Jack missed the first two days of school. Garrett went to school on the first day but apparently felt sick most of the day and came home in tears with a big headache and his stomach hurting. Jack first started feeling sick when we went to the ward pool party on Monday the 15th but he hid it pretty well since he looked like he was fine. It slowly got worse each day with more coughing and feeling fatigued, etc. When Garrett and Charlotte started school on Thursday I took Jack to the Quick Care. Alice came along for the ride since Kindergarten starts the following week. They tested him for Covid but it came back negative. They had him get a chest x-ray and do some breathing treatments. We ended up being their for 2 1/2 hours and he was prescribed Albuterol for the nebulizer (that we already had thank goodness) and some antibiotics to just make sure since it's unclear if it's viral or bacterial. They just knew it was a respiratory infection. He also said to take some mucinex to help have a productive cough and humidifier in the room. Doing all of those things helped. He felt much better by the weekend but not quite good enough to go to church on Sunday. I also had Charlotte do the nebulizer because she started coughing a lot but that's all. Occasionally I gave Garrett and Alice a breathing treatment as well for their coughs. By the weekend I wasn't feeling good. I had a sore throat, then cough and fatigue. Fortunately my illness didn't last too long. I was feeling pretty good by Tuesday, well enough to mow the lawn at our other house. Curtis ended up getting sick as well but Jack definitely got it the worst. So glad everyone is feeling better now! Not the way we wanted to start off the school year.

The girls had their open house to see their new school on Tuesday the 16th and to meet their new teachers. They are now Greenhurst Grizzly Bears. I was so anxious and nervous about the kids switching schools but the kids seemed to adjust much better than I did. The girls were excited and Jack was just fine with switching because he still had a good friend from our old ward that goes to the new school, which is South Middle School.

At the elementary open house. The girls are standing on a small stage that is connected to the cafeteria.

Waiting for the doctor at Quick Care. Jack was so tired and cold.

Alice had Kindergarten orientation on Friday the 19th. She created a crown. Fortunately she felt fine in the morning when going to this but by Friday night she wasn't feeling well either.

Finally the kids all felt well enough to go to school the following Monday. Thank goodness we had the weekend to rest up and get better.






 One nice thing about this move is that Garrett is close enough to walk to school and the other 3 kids can ride the bus. The girls were so excited to be able to ride the bus this year. Charlotte always talked about wanting to ride the bus and now it's finally happening. Once again, we had a little hiccup, with getting Alice signed up to ride the bus as a Kindergartener. I had to fill out a form to get her on the list at the school and for the first week Charlotte would ride the bus while I drove Alice to school. Apparently the office lady lost the form I had filled out and so I had to fill out another one. I got that turned in first thing a week ago Monday and the office lady sent it to the bus company right away. She felt bad that it has taken so long so she wanted to get it taken care of as quickly as possible. By the afternoon I got a call from the bus company and the office lady at the school saying that she could ride the bus starting Tuesday. Yay!  I do have to mention that I was very impressed with Charlotte when there was one day that I thought Alice could ride the bus so she rode in the morning but then in the afternoon they told her she couldn't get on the bus because she wasn't on the list yet. Alice had to go to the office and wait for them to call me and come pick her up. Charlotte was a good big sister and stayed with Alice instead of riding the bus. But it's all figured out now and they are both riding together. I also love that their bus stop is very close to our house. It's only a few houses down!

Getting on in the morning.

And getting off in the afternoon.

The next day I told them to sit on the side where I could take a picture of them.

 It was a bumpy start this school year but things are looking good now. The kids are all enjoying their classes and schools.

1 comment:

Laverne said...

So glad things worked out for the girls on the bus. YES, that was a bumpy start to the new school year!!