Thursday, September 21, 2023

New Floors!

The time has finally arrived for the installation of our new floors! We got finished what we needed to for prepping for floors but we actually still have some things to do before carpet comes on Monday. The people who are doing our floors are a husband and wife team who contract with Home Depot. Home Depot originally told us they would be here on Wednesday but then later changed it to Tuesday. We pulled out the toilet Monday night so we could have them do the bathrooms first. Well, we anxiously waited for them or for a message from them all day Tuesday and nothing. Then Tuesday afternoon Curtis finally gets a text that they are coming the next day. So Home Depot told us wrong and we had to all share one toilet for two days. It wasn't too bad though because everyone woke up at different times and went to school or work. 

The flooring people were able to finish the landing by the front door and the two bathrooms. They had to wait to start the kitchen because there were a few areas that needed some leveling compound on it that needed to dry overnight. So our fridge, oven, dishwasher and pantry items are hanging out in the dining room.

The master bathroom.

The hall bathroom.

The front landing.

All with the freshly painted walls and chandelier.

Here's what our dining room looks like right now.

While they were working on the floors yesterday, I was working in the corner of the master bedroom where the urine smell is. It had two coats of primer on it but that wasn't working to keep the smell out. We were told about another product to put on top of the primer and so I was prepping the area for that. I saw some bumps on the floor that had gotten there during other phases of the project and I wanted to level them out so that the carpet guy wouldn't do it later and expose the wood. Well, the paint came off pretty easy around those bumps with our floor scraping tool, so I decided to scrape all of the paint off. We were told that an oil base primer would work better but because we had the primer on, we couldn't use it. With the primer removed we can get the oil base stuff and hopefully rid ourselves of the odor. 

The paint chipped off easy in some places but not so easy in other places. I accidentally chipped the blade because of running into nails. Sometimes the blade would dig down too deep and would pull up splinters of wood. That's not what I wanted to do. I finally had to take a break and come back to it later. After chipping up most of it, I decided to grab the sander. I would say I was able remove about 99.9% of the primer paint. Whew, what a job that turned out to be! But, since I was in sanding mode, I decided to sand down the window sills because I was going to do it later anyway. After sanding those I had to leave the mess to help Charlotte with homework, etc. I never got around to finishing the clean up. I was so exhausted by the end of the day.

The gray stuff is the leveling compound in the kitchen.

The corner in the bedroom where I removed the primer.

It's the worst right in the corner.

Window sill before sanding. They had tile here before in both windows.


After sanding.



Today they came in to finish up the flooring in the kitchen and pantry. They were done just before 3pm so I was able to get some pictures and post this before most of the kids and I head to Idaho tonight for an orthodontist appt for Garrett tomorrow morning. I was so tired from working so much yesterday that I rested today. I also started getting the sniffles but I think that's from all of the dust from sanding yesterday. But yay, it's finished!




I wonder how long it will take us to get the trim work done. We have the whole house to do!

1 comment:

Laverne said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE YOUR NEW FLOORS!!!