Thursday, March 13, 2025

Trim Project and Fun Stuff

Now that we're into March and the weather is warming up, we have finally got the itch to work on projects again. We had done a little last Fall and never finished what we started then because we got busy and then it got cold! Last Fall we had started hanging trim in our bedroom and a small part of the hallway. Well, we got as far as painting and hanging the boards up but didn't finish with painting over the finish nails and caulking. At one point I did at least fill in the holes with wood filler but never got around to sanding and painting. So, our trim looked like it was sick with spots all over. Ha ha! On Saturday, March 2nd, we got to work sanding and painting the trim. I finished up painting last Thursday. Then last Saturday, the 8th, I finally painted the doors while Curtis did caulk. I do still need to do a little touch up painting, but we're so glad to get that much done and to get going again on projects.

He helped with primer painting on the parts of wood that needed it.

This is how I had it set up in the garage. It has one coat of paint on at this point.

This is a reminder of what the doors looked like prior to painting them. They came pre-primed.

You can see the difference between Garrett's door and the closet versus our bedroom door. It's so much nicer now!

Finished bedroom and bathroom doors.

Finished closet door.

Inside the bathroom. We still need to figure out how to fix the squeak in the door hinges. It rubs on the paint, so we might have to remove the board and trim it again.

Me painting the doorway. At that point, the door had not been painted yet.


On Sunday, March 3rd, Curtis and I took Jack to get his Patriarchal blessing. I had been thinking about Jack getting his patriarchal blessing lately, and then the next thing I knew, he had his interview with bishop and sent me the information to set him up an appointment to get it done. I'm so happy that he wanted to get it on his own. There were some great things mentioned in his blessing. I want to read it again because I can't remember it all, but I know he had a great experience getting the blessing and that he loved the things that were said. That got me thinking about my patriarchal blessing and I couldn't remember where I put it! I did a lot of searching to no avail and finally decided to request it online. Right after I received it and printed it out again, I found where I put the original. It was in the back of my senior scrapbook, along with Curtis's love notes from when we were dating and letters he had sent me from Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm so glad I found all of those! 

I told Jack later that Nikki had never gotten one, and I wondered what hers would have said if she did. He reminded me that she still can get one. I loved that he said that, and I hope she does some day.

Patriarch Newbry took a photo of us afterwards. What a great experience! 


Garrett has seemed happier lately and more willing to play games and do other things. While Curtis, Jack and I were on a call with Nikki to read from a book called "Atomic Habits", Garrett played a Harry Potter board game with the girls. I was SO happy to see the three of them playing together. In the end, Charlotte won and I'm happy that Alice did not get upset. She tends to get a little upset when she's not playing well or doesn't win. We're trying to teach her that it's okay, as long as you're having fun.


Last Tuesday evening the girls had an event at their school for Read Across America Day, honoring Dr. Suess's birthday. They had some fun activities, and the girls got to pick out some free books because they had donated some books to get "book bucks". It's basically a book exchange.

Alice got her face painted and posed as Cat in the Hat.



Charlotte showed me that she can cross her eyes. She's such a funny girl.



No comments: