Early this morning we sent the boys flying down to Houston. To my utter surprise I was able to stay strong and fight the tears all day long. They did try to come a few times, especially on the trip home from the airport. That's one nice thing about having kids, they distracted my thoughts. I just tried hard not to think about Curtis leaving and where he was going and how long he would be gone. But he did make it safe and sound. Unfortunately, Curtis and Nic were not able to get a room together. They have different room mates. So when Curtis was by himself this evening he decided to read the scriptures. Reality was starting to hit him and he was missing us a lot and probably getting a little homesick. Thank goodness for the gospel and church in our lives.
It was nice to have plenty of family there at the airport to see them off. Those that showed up were: his parents & grandma Port, his sister Shauna & family, my sis in law Krista & her boy Nephi, my sister Tamara & her family. Thank you all for coming!
Nicole kind of has the sense down that Curtis is gone but I don't think she realizes how long. It was funny that as Curtis was walking to check in to security we were all watching and Nikki said she's going to miss daddy. I told her we would get to talk to him a lot on the phone and maybe see him on the computer. Then she quickly remembered that she wanted to ride the escalator again. She was only crying on the way out to the van because she wanted to ride the escalator again. Kids. I don't blame her, I loved riding them when I was a kid too.
Anyway, I then went to my in laws where they had invited Celeste and me to breakfast and we watched the first session of conference. Then I headed over to see my dad since he wasn't able to make it to the airport due to his extremely sore back. When I discovered he wasn't there and found out he was getting his back adjusted again I decided to go visit Gma & Gpa Norton, where I ended up staying all day. Dad stopped in on the way home and then later Chris & Tamara came over and Melissa & Nathan. I decided if I wanted to stay strong the remainder of the day I'd better stay with family as long as I could. We watched conference, talked, went on a walk, & played a game of Uno. And well, now I'm tuckered out and need some sleep. Check out my slideshow below of pics from the airport.
10 comments:
Okay, so I cried for you. If you need anything, like man-projects or priesthood or a shoulder to cry on, let me know and we are here. You are so strong to keep it together for your kids.
Deedra~ You were in my thoughts and prayers all day yesterday. I am so happy that you live close to family, and have such a supportive place to be. Kids do have a way of keeping our minds on something else. Guess that is why we like being mommys. We don't aways have to think about reality:)
Hang in there! We are cheering you on! :)
You did a great job!!! :-) I'm sure your children will be a solace to you, in all sorts of ways. :-) We love you & are thinking of you all the time - and I'm so glad that you got to talk to him already last night!!! :-) *hugs*
Hugs and prayers your way. We are here for you - whenever you need us. Feel lonely - come over or we can come over there. Thank goodness for family nearby - that will make it a bit easier. And yes your kids will certainly keep you busy - the time will probably go by quicker than expected. I was just thinking this morning about how in the early days of the church, married men were called on missions for many years at a time, in the states and also overseas. They only had snailmail to keep in touch. Thank goodness for the phone and internet these days.
Deedra,
You are amazing! Please let me know if there is anything we can do for your family.
well I don't know how you did it. I teared up just reading about you not crying, come over anytime. Bones is on tomorrow!
glad things went well. we were going to try to go, but well we all got laden with the flu this weekend. I am still battling it. The Lord will bless you both during this hard time. remember to rely on your ward family and your old ward family ;) everyone is willing!! hugs!
You are one tough cookie Honey! Hopefully time will fly! We are all here for you. It's like I told Heather, ya just have to stay busy. Blog, scrapbook, read, sew, bead, plan a Halloween party, whatever keeps your mind active! It sure helps!
You are a much stronger woman than me. I have been thinking about and praying for you. I realized its been forever since I've seen you. You look so cute and the kids are growing up so much. Just think of it as waiting for a missionary and its only half the time!
Love the new family pics!
Post a Comment