Memorial Day weekend was spent visiting family in Utah. My grandpa on my mom's side was not doing well so I decided to make one last visit. I stayed with some friends who live nearby. Friday we drove from home straight to see my grandparents and my mom and other family who were there. It was difficult because I did not recognize grandpa when I saw him. He was so skinny and limp. When he tried to talk it was very difficult to understand him. But when we were able to get him to smile it filled my heart with joy. On Saturday, I went to see my brother Derek and his family who had just moved to a new house. The kids had so much fun playing on the play set out back. It was fun to see my brother again and we all had a good time. Sunday morning we went to church with my mom. Although Nikki didn't want to go to her class because it was all boys and she was the only girl. She ended up going home early with my mom. I followed soon after because Jack was getting restless and cranky. My sister brought Garrett back with them because he was having so much fun in nursery. He was supposed to go to Sunbeams but was taken to nursery by my aunt by mistake. But as long as he was happy, right?
After church we had a delicious dinner of sweet and sour chicken on rice, rolls, vegetables, jello, and yummy homemade strawberry cheesecake for dessert. The rest of the day was spent mingling with family and going in to visit grandpa. He slept most of the day but by the evening he was doing some more talking. We also had fun watching the kids play. My daughter and my nieces made their own instruments and did a couple different songs for us as they danced around in a parade. I also enjoyed looking at the many paintings hanging around the house that were painted by him, his dad, his grandpa, my mom and other family. I guess art is in the genes. I will treasure the painting by him that I have hanging on the wall in my home. It was a painting of the "Y" mountain.
Most of the time when we would go in to visit grandpa we would remind him of all the good memories we had with him. Some of my memories were of hiking the "Y" mountain and going on different camping trips. I especially loved the time we swam in the creek and we had so much fun using grandpa's hat to dump water on his head.
Here are some pictures of my last moments with him.

This is Sunday evening with my grandparents.
After church we had a delicious dinner of sweet and sour chicken on rice, rolls, vegetables, jello, and yummy homemade strawberry cheesecake for dessert. The rest of the day was spent mingling with family and going in to visit grandpa. He slept most of the day but by the evening he was doing some more talking. We also had fun watching the kids play. My daughter and my nieces made their own instruments and did a couple different songs for us as they danced around in a parade. I also enjoyed looking at the many paintings hanging around the house that were painted by him, his dad, his grandpa, my mom and other family. I guess art is in the genes. I will treasure the painting by him that I have hanging on the wall in my home. It was a painting of the "Y" mountain.
Most of the time when we would go in to visit grandpa we would remind him of all the good memories we had with him. Some of my memories were of hiking the "Y" mountain and going on different camping trips. I especially loved the time we swam in the creek and we had so much fun using grandpa's hat to dump water on his head.
Here are some pictures of my last moments with him.

This is Sunday evening with my grandparents.

My brother in law, Nathan, had just cracked a joke about BSU vs BYU and it made Grandpa Hansen smile so I tried to catch it on camera.

My sister Melissa and Grandpa.
This morning my aunt Karen called to inform us that he passed away peacefully around 9:15am. It is always bittersweet. You hate to see them leave but I know where he will go and that he'll be dancing in heaven and full of life again. I know that I will get to see him again and until then he will be deeply missed.
3 comments:
I'm so glad you and Melissa's families got to go and visit him. Wish I could have been there too. Thank you for sharing pictures and stories of your weekend with Grandpa and the rest of the family. It makes me feel better.
Your dad had so many fond memories of him too. My heart felt condolances . Be safe going to Utah!
I'm so glad you were able to go and say goodbye before he died. I'm sure it makes it easier since you were able to see him before he left. I keep thinking my grandparents really could go at time and I need to go visit them more often.
Post a Comment