Sunday, March 6, 2016

Student Awards

I'm proud to say that this year all three of my school aged children have received recognition awards. At the boy's school each class chooses 2 students each month to receive an award for whichever character trait the whole school was working on that month. In September Garrett won the Good Character Award for Respect. I was especially happy that he won this and at the beginning of the year because last year he did not get one but Nikki and Jack did. Last year I assumed that once a student received an award that that was it for them, so as to give other students a chance, but I found out that someone I know that was in Garrett's class had won awards on two separate months. So I was a little frustrated. What made it even better though was that he won this award in the month of his birthday. What a great gift!



And what a coincidence that Jack would also win an award in the month of his birthday, February! He earned the Good Character Award for Honesty. The funny thing was that on the way home after school the day he earned the award he asked "Mom, what is honesty?".  Well, I'm glad he was being honest even though he wasn't sure what it was!

He was also wearing a frog hat he made at school that day.

Lastly, a couple of days ago (March 4th) I received a phone call from Nikki in the morning when she was at school. At first I'm thinking oh great she's sick again because she's been sick quite a bit this year but then she tells me she's in the principal's office. What?!! Did she get hurt? Did she actually get into a fight with someone?  Not Nikki, she couldn't have!  She's not a trouble maker! 

With a little concern in my voice I ask "why?". Between her speaking softly and my bad phone signal I had to ask why several times because I couldn't understand what she had said. Finally, I hear "Mom, I got student of the week."  What a relief it was to hear those words and a proud moment at the same time! I think she had said that she got to go somewhere with the other winners and the principal to get food or something but I'm not sure. I forgot to ask her when she got home.  But I'm so proud of each of my kids and the good examples that they are to their peers and friends! 

I don't know if she brought home an actual certificate for the award so I just found a picture of her that I took recently so I have at least something to show for her.


1 comment:

Laverne said...

AWESOME!!! You have good reason to be a Proud Parent! Those are qualities kids need to learn. Honesty and respect!!~ And being a Student of the week, well she displays all those and more! Way to go kids! Gramma's proud of you too!!