Nikki's birthday was on Monday the 11th and while we knew we weren't going to officially celebrate her birthday until the weekend along with my birthday I still felt like she should have her special breakfast and dinner on her actual birthday. I got up early and made some German pancakes and then for dinner she requested curry. I asked Curtis if he would be in charge of that. Although I did have to go to the store to buy some ingredients for him. It turned out delicious! Nikki's best friend Angie wanted to surprise Nikki with her favorite flavor of cake so she texted me on Sunday asking about it. Right now her favorite is carrot cake with NO nuts. Angie also bought her a few gifts. She brought those things over while I was gone with Nikki getting our hair cut. Mine was just a trim so hardly noticeable. Nikki wanted hers very short again. I must be getting used to the short hair because I think it's cute this time. So she got cake on her birthday after all thanks to Angie and it was good!
![]() |
| Angie was being funny and put "Happy 71st" instead of 17th on the cake she made. |
Nikki really wanted to do a glass blowing class for her birthday ever since she saw us do one last summer. Well, I got a good deal through Groupon again for Boise Art Glass plus an extra $10 off so it was a better deal than when we went. It ended up being a birthday present to her and Angie, as both of them were the ones who did the class this time. They really enjoyed it. Nikki wanted to make something she would use so she made a glass cup and Angie decided to do the same but different color.
We ended up celebrating both our birthdays on my birthday, which was Sunday. It was stake conference for us so Curtis didn't have any meetings and we all got to sleep in. It was nice. Saturday night I had baked my birthday cake so I wouldn't have to the next day. I was craving Mexican Wedding Cake, which is a moist cake that has crushed pineapple, chopped nuts (I used pecans) and a cream cheese frosting. I think the only kid that likes that cake is Charlotte (I later learned that Alice likes it too) but Nikki didn't really care which cake I had since Angie had already made her favorite for her. I knew my kids probably wouldn't like my cake so I bought some Oreos for them but said they had to at least try a bite of my cake before they could have Oreos. Not sure if all of them remembered that but I know Nikki did. What a good sport.
During the day we pulled out a new card game Garrett got for Christmas from a friend called The Oregon Trail, based off the old computer game that was created when I was a kid. Curtis and I died of snake bites. Garrett and Nikki both drowned on a river crossing but Jack made it to Oregon by himself so technically we all won! 😆
![]() |
| Charlotte and Alice played on the hoverboard while we played our game. |
![]() |
| This was the first time Alice was able to stand and go on the hoverboard. She fell off a couple times but got right back on. She's taking after Charlotte. |
For my birthday dinner I decided we should cook up the turkey we had received from Curtis's work for Christmas but I also didn't want to cook a bunch of other food so Curtis called his parents and mine and they were gracious enough to help bring food. His parents brought cheesy potato casserole. My parents brought squash and a salad. Grandma wanted to help bring something also so I told her to bring the ice cream. Everything was delicious! It makes it nice for everyone when the food assignments are delegated out. We were able to fit everyone around our table except two so Nikki and Jack ate at the bar counter. It's nice to be able to have a table big enough for guests.
Anyway, we enjoyed our dinner and then moved to the front room to sing happy birthday and open gifts. I had bought some number candles to go on the cake for both Nikki and myself but Curtis decided to buy a different candle and surprised me with it. Nikki was with him when he bought it so she knew. It was an awesome candle where you light the middle and then the rest of it lights up and the sides fall down and continue in a circle while playing the happy birthday song. Coolest candle I've ever had!
![]() |
| We haven't had birthday party hats in years. Curtis decided he wanted to have those also. |
![]() |
| The fancy birthday candle after we blew it out. For the record Nikki turned 17 and I turned 38. We're nearly 21 years apart. |
![]() |
| My niece Alivia Cleaver made these rings and Laverne bought them from her to give to us as gifts. They're beautiful! |
![]() |
| Fun with hats. |
![]() |
| Do you think I could wear this for my new covid mask? 😂 |
![]() |
| The wireless earbuds I wanted. |
![]() |
| Nikki loves the Beatles and she loves t-shirts. |
![]() |
| Picture with my in laws. |
![]() |
| Picture with my parents. |
![]() |
| Picture with my grandma (GG) in the middle. The other picture I had she was closing her eyes. |
![]() |
| Our family |
It was a good birthday filled with many people wishing happy birthday on Facebook, text messages and even a phone call from my friend Monica. She and her family sang happy birthday to me. It's becoming a tradition for them that I love. Birthdays and holidays are just so much better with family, especially when you get older. The older I get the less I want gifts and the more I would rather just have a family get together.





















1 comment:
Looks like a fun week for Nikki and you as well. It was so nice to get to celebrate with you all on Sunday. Good food, great company and such a good time!
Post a Comment