Thursday, August 26, 2021

Butterfield Oregon Coast Trip (Day 4)

Our Sabbath morning started out quiet and peaceful. Ricky and Jenna left early to go visit her brother up in Portland. Wendy and Steve decided to go do some shopping. We thought Jeanie and Glen went with them but much later they came out of their room. Mom and Dad, Shauna, John, Casey and Amber all went to church in Newport I think. Curtis and I decided to stay back at the house so we could watch the broadcast of my nephew Blake giving his homecoming talk in his ward. We cleaned up the kitchen and table areas while waiting and listening. Blake gave such a great talk. I'm so glad we didn't miss it! After they returned from church some of us participated in a Come Follow Me lesson discussion and I heard some things that I needed to hear. It was great.

Later we drove over to a beach that was much softer sand but also much more packed down so it was easier to walk on so I decided to wear my walking shoes this time but brought sandals just in case. Mom, Dad, Amber and Casey came with us. This beach I believe is 5 miles long and a very beautiful beach! This is where I started to do some beach item collecting. I found a few shells and a pretty rock but it was nice to just walk around and enjoy the beauty and the fresh air and sun. There were very few people there also.



Looks like natural bricks.

They had lots of clay rocks like this with shells inside.



On the way back to the house Curtis mentioned the idea of going to a beach to get a big family picture by the ocean. He wanted to go back to the first beach we had found because there were some big rocks over there as well and it was a pretty area. 



All the girls.

My in laws with 6 of their 8 kids.

The whole group.

Capturing a sweet moment from the ones who have been married for 50 years.

This was supposed to be just the boys but looks like Jeanie and Amber didn't realize they were in the shot.

After getting pictures we all went back to the house to figure out what to eat and work on the puzzle some more. Some of our group had gone previous days to see the Devil's Punchbowl and I wanted to check it out. I was not prepared for how windy it would be! We had to go at a specific time so the tide would be low enough to get over there. We still had to remove our shoes and walk in a little bit of water but it was cool because that's where I saw a bunch of crabs and a star fish. We also did some more beach combing trying to find sea glass and agate rocks. I also picked up a few smooth rocks and some cool looking muscle shells that I thought the girls might like.

They have a view area from the top for when the tide is high but I was so anxious to get down there when the tide was low that we never saw it from up above.






See how windy it was and I didn't bring any hair elastics or a hat. What was I thinking?!

A tiny water fall right at the beach.

And a beautiful sunset on our last night there.

The rest of the night was filled with some clean meat off crabs to pack them home. Some playing games and some working on the puzzle. We finally decided at the end of the night that we might as well just put the puzzle away since everyone was leaving early the next morning. I took it apart but in big pieces so that maybe Shauna and John could finish it later or at another family function. 


This is as far as we got.

Here's one of the puzzles I picked out from souvenir shopping.

This was the first one I picked because I love water falls.

Here's what I collected off the beaches.

I forgot that this was another one of my souvenirs I bought when shopping on Friday morning. It even glows in the dark. I placed it on our piano for now.

It was a great trip and we made it home around 4:30 mountain time on Monday and it gave us the chance to relax a bit. It will be fun to go to the Oregon Coast again next summer with the kids and most of my family for another Tony Norton reunion. 



1 comment:

Laverne said...

Any trip to the coast is an awesome trip!!