Saturday was the 38th Annual Harvest Classic Fun Run in Nampa and this was the first time any of us had participated. I picked up our shirts and packets on Friday evening. They gave us a bunch of coupons and some guests passes for the Rec Center in our packets along with our shirts and racing numbers and some Go Go Squeeze snacks. Saturday morning came and Alice says her stomach feels like throwing up. Uh oh. What are we going to do? Both grandmas were working at the temples that morning so they couldn't help. I just gave Alice some saltine crackers, which she ate half of one, and some water and she slept some more. I woke her up again when it was close to time to go and see how she felt. She got right up and changed her clothes. We decided that we would push her in a stroller so she wouldn't over do it. She continued to feel better through out the day.
Before the races began they were handing out donuts and after the race they had Dominoes Pizza and Texas Roadhouse (baked potato and rolls) they were giving out. They had several vendors with tents handing out free stuff. We even got two bags of bagels from Franz Bakery. The girls got a new orange water bottle and sunglasses from one vendor. At the end they gave out prizes from a drawing and medals to the top 3 winners in each race in different age and gender categories. The girls also had fun playing on the inflatable obstacle course.
We all started the 2 mile walk race together but I told Curtis he could go ahead with Jack if he wanted to. Charlotte started to slow down early on and all 3 boys and Alice (getting pushed in the stroller) took off and left us in the dust. I stayed back with Charlotte. Pretty soon she said she needed to go potty. She went at home before we came so we thought she would be fine. Halfway through the race she needed to go really bad. There were no portable toilets except at the start line at the Rec Center. She was hurting so bad and kept saying she wished she hadn't come or that we had done the 1 mile race instead. Poor girl! Finally we came to the stretch of race where we were on the greenbelt walking path and were able to find a spot where we could go down under a tree and she would be covered. She was so embarrassed even though nobody saw her but me. She wanted to leave right after the race was done but she forgot about that idea when we did finish. Other than that little trial for her we all had a good time.
![]() |
| Waiting for the race to start. |
![]() |
| Alice won 2nd place for girls ages 1-14 in the 2 mile walk. She can thank her dad and brothers for that since she was getting pushed in the stroller! 😂 |
![]() |
| Garrett also got 2nd place for boys in his age category (15-?) and Jack got 1st place for boys ages 1-14. We were not expecting any of us to win medals and yet half of us did! |
![]() |
| It was fun and we are glad we did it! |
The girls had gone with me Friday night to pick up the race packets at the Rec Center and afterwards I let them use a treadmill for a bit, walk the track, and then do some rock wall climbing in the room they have in the weight room. It's great to see my girls so active and I want to encourage that.
Both of the boys are already struggling with grades in some of their classes. They had to get some stuff done Friday night if they wanted to go to the BSU game on Saturday after the race. My brother Stillman had 3 extra tickets that his family weren't going to use so he let us use them. We weren't sure up until Friday night just exactly who was going to go. It took some time, especially with Garrett but we finally set some goals of what they needed to do that night and what they had to wait to do on Monday. They both finished what they needed to and got to go to the game with Curtis and Stillman and his two oldest boys. They had a good time.
While the boys were at the game I got a message from Ashlie that we had some packages delivered to our old address. I decided that the girls and I could go to Grandma's house to watch the game so we dropped by our old house on the way and visited with Ashlie and Jim and the new owner Levi Gilbert and his 3 girls. I was able to share some pears and grapes with both of their families since we had plenty more than we needed. The new owners seem nice. I also noticed since the garage was open that they had painted the inside walls and were basically turning the garage into a mancave, decorating it with stuff on the walls and a couple of chairs.
Anyway, it was fun to watch the game with Grandma. The girls had a movie on downstairs while grandma and I did a puzzle as we watched the game. I also brought her some grapes and pears. Later Dad and Mom (Laverne) showed up for the end of the game. BSU's offense didn't do very well in the 2nd half but they did win the game! After the game the girls and I went to a birthday party for a friend of mine from our old ward. Her name is Laura Rovig. It was originally going to be at Lyons Park over by where Grandma lived but the weather was looking unpredictable so they moved it to their house. We were able to play a few rounds of capture the flag in their backyard but it was difficult in that small space. We also enjoyed pizza, cookies, visiting and playing board games (some of us). I was able to talk Curtis into coming over after he got back from the game and dropping the boys off. We had a good time with several of our old friends who were at the party.
On Sunday, Alice seemed to feel good again but then again she woke up yesterday (Monday) morning saying her tummy felt sick and she still had a cough and sniffles from the weekend so I kept her home from school. I'm so glad I did because by the afternoon I discovered that she was getting pink eye! I called the doctor's office to leave a message and about an hour or two later they called back and said they would send a prescription for eye drops to the pharmacy. Yay, I didn't have to take her in! Our pediatrician, Dr. Hammer and his nurse Rayann, are awesome! Usually I would wait to see if her eyes would get worse but I'm so glad I got a jump on it because by the end of the day her left eye was swelling up and more goopy than before. She woke up this morning with both eyes glued shut by goop. After the first dose of eye drops, she did not like it and is scared each time. I told her it was okay and that she would get used to it. Now she's home again and watching movies. This is the first time she has ever had pink eye and I don't think Charlotte has ever gotten it either. I washed both girls' bedding yesterday to be safe. I know I'll have to wash Alice's again but she needed some clean sheets.
Since Alice has been sick the last two days I've used it as opportunity to get some bathroom and kitchen cleaning done. They say she's no longer contagious after 24 hours of using the eye drops so hopefully she'll be okay to go to school tomorrow.
![]() |
| This was Alice on Sunday. She wanted to wear the pink bow in her hair and told me to take a picture so she could see it. |
Garrett has been busy working on a world map project for one of his classes. He's tracing the map onto paper from a map he happened to already have at home. He's really enjoying it. He'll come home from school and turn music on (from the Zelda game) and work on it for a long time.
I didn't get a picture but last night for a family activity we decided to make a race challenge to see how fast our whole family (except Alice) could pick the pears off the tree in the back yard. My mother in law is going to can them so we picked them for her. We got 3 buckets and I think 2 grocery bags full of pears. We just kept about 10 for ourselves to eat fresh. The challenge was to see which prize we would win as a family if we picked them in a certain time frame. We missed the 1st time frame (10 min or less) but finished in the 2nd time frame (10 to 20 min) at about 13.5 minutes. It was a fun way to get the work done. Our reward was getting mini chocolate pies and donuts. I didn't get pictures because I was busy working and then I was busy worrying, about Alice. Jack was nice and used his own money to buy Alice a toy stress ball to help her feel better. She liked it. I just hope nobody else gets pink eye!









1 comment:
I wish we would have done that!! Sounds fun!
Post a Comment