Monday, February 6, 2023

Jack Turns 14!

Yesterday was Jack's birthday and this year he decided he wanted a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and sprinkled with broken pieces of mint Oreos. I bought all of the ingredients but Jack did everything else. He baked the cake Sunday morning after he showered and got dressed for church.  Jack said that no one at church knew it was his birthday so nobody said anything to him but the girls told their teachers that he did. I get the impression that maybe he didn't want anyone to know anyway. I actually subbed in primary yesterday. When I went to the Relief Society activity a week and a half ago somebody asked if I could just go and sit with the class while the other gal who was also subbing would do the lesson. I said sure. It was the class just younger than Alice's. She was glad to have me in primary with her even if I didn't go to class with her. Anyway, normally Jack would be helping the other young men to take down chairs and stuff afterwards but since it was his birthday we let him off the hook this time and hurried home. Then after church he decorated the cake while the girls and I wrapped his presents and Curtis cooked dinner. I have a tradition that I let the kids pick a breakfast and dinner that they want on their birthday. Jack chose Monkey Bread for his breakfast and bratwurst and salad for his dinner. The girls ate hot dogs. After eating we got right to singing and opening presents. Then those who were ready had cake and ice cream. 


Can you see the hidden 14 in the Oreos?





The girls picked out a card that says "Of all the brothers in the world, you're one of the very best." It was a brother card but I signed it too.

He received two big Milky Way candy bars (that I told the girls could be from them) and a fidget pen with magnets.

A record player. Grandma Butterfield had a record player and when we lived next door to them he discovered that he liked to play them so he wanted his own record player.

They didn't have the best selection at Walmart but we did find a couple we think he'll like, Guardians of the Galaxy and the Beach Boys.

He seems happy with it.

I had to get a shot with me and my boy.

Jack talked Curtis in to playing the Pokémon card game with him after all of the birthday stuff was done. I didn't think to get a picture of them because I was busy catching up on blogging. They both seemed to enjoy it though. Then we watched an episode of The Chosen. It was a good day and I think Jack had a good birthday.

1 comment:

Laverne said...

I'm glad you pointed out the 14...I didn't see it! lol He did a good job! Sounds like it was a pretty fun birthday. Tony said he was gonna check if he had any albums but he doesn't think he does. lol HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACK!!