Thursday, March 23, 2023

Urgent Care, Band Concert and Doors

Monday started off productive. I was able to do some laundry and a blog post. Then I proceeded to prep doorways and do some sanding. In the middle of my first doorway of sanding I looked at my phone and saw that I missed two calls from the girl's school. I received a message from the nurse that Charlotte had now come to the office twice that day with her ear hurting a lot. It was toward the end of the school day so I decided just to pick up both girls early and try to get Charlotte to a doctor as soon as possible, because I was pretty positive that she had an ear infection. There was an urgent care just down the road from us but when I got there I learned that you needed an appointment and they didn't have any more for the day. She gave me a paper that had other options of places to try. I ended up taking Charlotte over to Richland after making an appointment on the phone. The practitioner that saw her was super nice and confirmed my suspicions. Charlotte had a bad ear infection in her right ear. He sent in a prescription and gave us a list of other things we could do at home to help. He was surprised to learn that Charlotte has been using a Neti pot sometimes and even used it that morning before school. Not many kids or adults will use one but he says it is a good thing to do and wrote that on our list of things to do at home. Another was getting a nasal spray for kids and just spraying once a day for 4 days. He said I could give her Sudafed if I wanted but I decided not to since we were doing the other things. 

By the time I got home from taking her to the doctor, bringing her home and then going to the pharmacy, it was dinner time, and that meant no more working on the doorways. Thankfully, Charlotte started feeling better the next day. We gave her a dose of Advil right before going to school just in case. I'm so glad we were able to get her in somewhere so quickly. It has hit me that it's about time to start looking for a new family doctor or pediatrician over here.

A quick picture of my sanding before I got the call from the school.

On Tuesday I decided I needed to fill holes on the doorways first and let them dry. A few of the doors needed a lot. I think I would have preferred to buy a new door frame. Tuesday evening was also Jack's first band concert. He played in the honor band (concert band) and jazz band 2. It was great not having to worry about parking this time. We just walked right over from our house. 

All dressed and ready to go.

They have a big gym. If the bleachers were folded up, there would be two basketball courts side by side.

Jack is to the left of the director with the French horn.

Jack is standing on one of the blocks on the left in the back. That's where the trumpets always go in jazz band.

Alice wearing daddy's sunglasses.

It's always fun to watch the boys in their concerts. Charlotte is now saying that she wants to play the trumpet. I told her she can decide that when she gets to 6th grade.

I tried to be productive again on Wednesday during the day and did some more sanding. I was getting really frustrated with the girl's door. There were strips of paint sticking way out that didn't get ripped off with the old boards. When I tried sanding them down low, I accidentally nicked our new floor. I was so mad at myself for doing that! I finally moved on to the bathroom door. After I got most of that door sanded, I was tired and so done. I kept seeing spots that I missed on filling holes and decided I'm going to leave the doorways to Curtis, I resign! 

I did get some laundry done during the day yesterday to get ready for our trip, and got caught up on dishes last night. The girls' got their suitcases all packed and ready. I wasn't sure if I was going to work on the house projects at all today but I finally decided I would like to at least get the doors 2nd coat of paint done, so I could feel like I accomplished something and be done with that. I have done all the first sides of the 6 doors and am now waiting for it to dry but will be ready to go back down in a bit. I also need to get my bags packed and take a shower before kids get home from school. We have to leave right after they get home. We'll probably get to Grandma Norton's between 10-11pm if we leave on time.

Doors painted on one side and drying.

It will be nice to have a break from working on the house and just have fun with family and friends this weekend!

1 comment:

Laverne said...

Glad Charlotte got to see a doctor and is on the mend. Don't want her feeling crappy this weekend. Jack looks good and fit right in!! Drive safe and we'll see you when we see you!