Monday, September 25, 2023

Cancelled Trip

We were headed to Nampa around 4:30 or so on Thursday because Garrett had an orthodontist appointment the next morning but after driving just past Pendleton (a little over an hour from our house) we were forced to get off the freeway because it was closed. After waiting a little bit and trying to find out online what was going on, I went inside with the girls and talked to the gal at the register to see if she knew what was going on. Apparently, because of fog and drivers not slowing down to be careful, there was a huge crash pile up that involved around 30 cars and two semi trucks caught fire. It happened in the afternoon and even at 6pm they were still a long way from getting it cleaned up. They had Haz Mat out there cleaning up spills and what not. She said it would be a long time before the freeway gets open. I finally decided it wasn't worth it and we would just have to reschedule Garrett's appointment and just head back home. I later learned that there was another highway I might have been able to take but at the time I guess it had only been open to locals. I also learned they didn't open up the freeway again until around 11pm. So glad we didn't wait! The kids were bummed they didn't get to see their friends we had made plans with but I bought them a little treat and toy at the gas station to make up for it (well, the girls).

It turned out to be a good thing that I cancelled the trip because we were able to get a lot of prep things done over the weekend AND picked out our new bed! It will be delivered tomorrow. We are so burned out though. We can't wait to stop working so much on this house! After doing some prep on Friday I had seen a message on our ward Facebook page about a free event going on for young kids at the Carousel. It's only about a 2 minute drive for us so I said why not. I took the girls over and they played some simple carnival games, got special balloons made for them and rode the carousel twice (the carousel was not free). This was the first time we have been over there. I have driven by it and wondered what the carousel was all about. I still don't know a lot about it, but there's definitely a carousel inside that building! They also had a game where the riders can reach out and grab small rings from a fishes' mouth. The attendants would also pass out rings to riders as they went around. On the other side of the carousel is a target and bucket for the riders to throw their rings into as they go by. If you were lucky enough to get a brass colored ring they you would get a free carousel ride. I read something on the wall about the ring thing and I guess it's something that's been around for a long time but few carousels still do it. It made the ride that much more fun!



Charlotte with her golden retriever and Alice with her unicorn.

After we got home, Curtis called and suggested going out to eat. He picked up chicken and potatoes for the kids and then we took off. I also wanted to do our bed shopping. I decided I was in the mood for Mexican, so Curtis drove while I googled restaurants. We found one that was pretty good (I don't remember the name of it after looking at so many other restaurant names, lol). Their burritos are huge and both of us could only eat half of it. 

Time out. I'm done!


After we finished eating we then googled mattress stores and ended up going to Denver Mattress. We did end up finding one we like and got a 30% discount for taking the one on display. It will be delivered tomorrow! Now the excitement is starting to set in of being so close to finishing this big project!

Curtis started hanging up light fixtures on Thursday night after work and then we did the majority of it on Saturday. I assisted him mostly and then I did some painting on the urine stain. I had already done one coat on Thursday but did another on Saturday. Even after two coats you could still barely smell it right in the corner. I added another two coats on Sunday evening and just finished off our little can of primer that we had. I didn't remember to sniff it again before the carpet guy showed up this morning but I was pretty sure it was covered well enough by now and I was out of time anyway.

Hanging lights in our bathroom.

Curtis had to replace this step this morning before going to work. It had a notch cut out in the old stair to go around the white rock.

The master bedroom before carpet with all of the pretty lights.

Other angle.

Closet

After we moved things out of Garrett's room (where we're currently sleeping), Curtis had to add some screws to the floor to get rid of squeaky noises.

The carpet guy showed up around 9:30 this morning and got right to work. He finished around 2:30pm just in time for me to leave to pick up boys from school. We are loving the carpet. Only problem now is that the doors are too long with the new carpet and will need to be trimmed at the bottom/or top. I will post carpet pictures tomorrow because it's late now and I'm tired. However, I did want to post that the girls gave Garrett one of his birthday presents early yesterday and he loves it! Charlotte was too excited to give it to him and didn't want to wait until Friday.

Another Zelda necklace and matching keychain from the newest game taped inside a homemade card by Charlotte and Alice. Everyone signed it though.

He loves it!


He won't get any more gifts from us until his birthday, which is Friday. 

1 comment:

Laverne said...

WOW!! I'm so glad you didn't try coming. That was so scary! I'd have turned around too! The carousel looks fun! I've got to get a card off to Garrett tomorrow. Not sure it will make it on time but tell him it's coming1 Can't wait to see you on the 7th!