Sunday, January 21, 2024

Snow for My Birthday!

Sure enough, the snow started to come on Wednesday. just in time for my birthday. The boys also had their early release and Alice had a dentist appointment. I only drove when I had to and normally the girls ride the bus home but to make sure they would get home in time to go to Alice's appointment, I picked them up that day. I wasn't sure if the bus would get slowed down by the snow. I actually do not remember how much snow we got on Wednesday, but I know it was enough to be a little slippery and slushy.

The first half of my birthday was actually pretty boring and uneventful. Curtis and the girls remembered it was my birthday and said something before going to work and school, but of course the boys forgot and didn't say anything. The most that happened during the day was picking up the boys from school early and then reading birthday wishes on Facebook. We hadn't even talked about my birthday and if/when we would celebrate it. Since it landed on a Wednesday, I just assumed we wouldn't do anything because the boys go to mutual. When I left to go get the girls, someone had brought over a round loaf of bread (I think it is artisan) and Garrett didn't know who it was that dropped it off and there was no card or anything. I didn't know who to thank for it, but it was yummy! I'm pretty sure it was someone from church but just not sure who.


I then took Alice to her dentist appointment to get a couple more fillings done. Once again, she was a star patient and the type every doctor wishes to have. We still have one more appointment to finish up getting her cavities filled.

Chilling out watching Bluey again.

After we got home, I was trying to decide which meal to do for dinner but then Curtis called and said he wanted to take me out for a bite to eat that night. He would skip mutual, but the boys could still go while the girls and we would go to dinner. I also got a surprise delivery of Crumbl Cookies from my in-laws again. They did that last year. I told the kids we would wait until after we went to dinner and after the boys got back from mutual before eating them. The funny thing is, my mother-in-law is also doing the biggest loser challenge with us, and we joked that she is trying to sabotage us so that she can win. I talked about freezing them for later but of course I did not. I wanted them and of course I ate more than I should have. The sabotage worked! lol 😂 Over the next couple of days I kept telling myself that I could because it's my birthday. 



It so happened that the girls' school was doing a fundraiser with a restaurant that night at a nicer burger place called Hops N Drops so that's where I decided we should go. Because it was our first visit to their restaurant, they gave us a free basket of potato chips with dip. They were so good that I asked for the chips as my side and so did Alice.

Charlotte is trying to eat healthier also, so she ordered fruit instead of fries or chips to go with her chicken strips. Curtis had a bunless burger and salad.

I ate a buffalo chicken wrap and chips. They were good! I had to stop myself after eating one of the halves. I had the 2nd half the next day for lunch. Alice had a corndog and chips.

Since the boys weren't there with us, we told them we would pick them up a burger and fries on the way home. This restaurant was a bit expensive, so we got their food at McDonald's. They didn't complain. They also got a soda with it. We then sang happy birthday without candles and ate some cookies. Curtis wasn't ready to celebrate officially since my gifts hadn't arrived yet from Amazon. The weather must be delaying them. So eventually we'll celebrate it officially but at least we had a little celebration already.

The girls also took time to make me some cute cards for my birthday. I love how they want to do things like this.

The card on the left is from Alice, the one on the right is from Charlotte. My favorite colors right now are yellow and purple, so they both made cards with those colors.

Here's the insides of the cards.

And the backs of the cards. Charlotte was so nice to add pictures of herself and Alice.

This is another one that Alice made.

This is the back of that one. She found this picture in the garbage at church a few weeks ago. I'm glad she saved it and used it!

Charlotte made this yellow snowflake.

Charlotte took my picture and wrote on it. I have never actually done that before, so it was cool that she figured it out on her own.

The first half of my birthday was not so good, but the 2nd half made up for it with all of the surprises and I'm glad I didn't have to cook on my birthday. I also had a phone call from one of my best friends, Monica Wilmot. We try to call each other every year on our birthdays. It was actually her call that boosted my spirits before Curtis had called. So, it still ended up being a good birthday. How am I 41 years old already?!

2 comments:

Laverne said...

Looks like your birthday was a pretty good one. Glad you got some nice cards and a good dinner. Did you ever find out who made your bread?

Curtis and Deedra said...

No, I haven't found out yet who brought the bread.