Wednesday, August 27, 2025

Universal Studios Day

Day 4 of our trip was visiting Universal Studios in Los Angeles. Being big Harry Potter fans, we started with Harry Potter World (I don't remember what they actually call it, but that's what we called it). We went and did the Ollivander's wand choosing experience and Charlotte was chosen to participate. Fortunately, we were lucky enough to be at the beginning of the line when we had our turn, and I think that helped a lot. It was perfect because Charlotte is 11 years old this year, which is the same age Harry Potter got his wand. And she was REALLY hoping she would get chosen, so it was a dream come true for her!

Walking into the park.

Just inside the gates, Jack wanted a picture in front of this filming statue.

Going into Harry Potter World.

The wand chose her!

Of course, we had to buy the wand that chose her and then Alice picked out her own. Charlotte could have picked a different one, but she wanted the one that chose her.

Garrett's a big fan too. He bought himself a wand, robe and tie.

We rode both of the rides in Harry Potter world. First, we rode the castle ride. They did such an amazing job with so much to look at while you're waiting in line. And this time, the ride did not break down during our ride. Unfortunately, my stomach felt a little queasy afterwards. I just can't handle rides like I used to, and it makes me sad. Five years ago, most of us missed the Flight of the Hippogriff ride. It was a short little roller coaster but had a long line, since only one coaster can go at a time because it's so short. It was nice that they had misting fans in the line since it was outdoors.

Walking through the greenhouse as part of the castle line.

Inside the castle now.


Jack and Julie in front of the statue that leads to Dumbledore's office.

In the defense against the dark arts classroom, watching projections of the 3 main movie characters.

The sorting hat!

Outside the ride.

In line for the Hippogriff ride.

Hagrid's hut in the background.

After enjoying Harry Potter world, it was time to explore the rest of the park. We did The Simpson's ride, which I wasn't a fan of the show or the ride. The options they have for restaurants to eat at is limited and so is the seating. We went to Luigi's Pizza restaurant and had to wait a long time for the food and a big table to open up because we had a big group. Even the small tables were all full as well, but we finally got a table.

Then we headed over to ride Jurassic World. And yes, you WILL get wet! It wasn't as wet as the last time I rode it, and the wait time was much shorter. I think it was 45 minutes, compared to 2 hours the first time. It was a fun ride though! I almost didn't go on it.



Another really cool area was Nintendo World. Their ride was basically playing Mario Karts. It was about as long a wait as the Cars ride (80 min). Too long! But at least they had lots of cool things to look at again, like on the Harry Potter ride.








Bowser's room.

Finally about to get on the ride.

Afterwards, we raced across the park to go catch the Water World show. They only had a few time slots where you could watch it, and we were ready. It was a good show and nice to rest our feet. We were all really tired and ready to sit some more, so we finally went and did the Universal Studios tour ride. It was about an hour long, so it was nice. And of course, it was fun to learn things about the studios.







We wanted to go back to Harry Potter World afterwards to get a family picture in front of the castle and so the kids could look at souvenirs also. Alice had dropped her wand in a souvenir shop and the tip came out. She was so sad because that tip would allow her to use the wand in certain places to move things and now she wouldn't be able to do that. Fortunately, a manager in the gift shop saw that she was upset (crying) and asked if we needed help. I told him the story and he said because we had bought that wand on that day, that one time only she could go back to Olivander's to have it replaced. Yay! That was so cool that they allowed her to do that. She was much happier after that.

Outside the Hogwarts castle.


Trying out their wands at all of the spots that you could.

Getting a picture with the moving "Wanted" poster of Sirius Black.

On our way out. Curtis and Jack had already gone to the van.


Charlotte loves this movie. We haven't actually watched the new one that came out but she had to get a picture with Toothless on our way to the parking lot. It was another good day!


1 comment:

Laverne said...

I wondered when you were going to post about your trip. lol I have to post daily or weekly or I forget what I did. I don't like playing catch up. BUT your smart and have a good memory. I loved your trip pictures and they brought back a lot of memories.