Monday, June 1, 2026

Our Spring Break 2026

As a kid I never went anywhere for spring break. We never went anywhere after I got married either. That is, until we moved away from all of our family 3 years ago. Now it seems to be a tradition to go back to Nampa every year for the kid's spring break. I don't know if that will always be the case, but for now we enjoy getting to see family and old friends each year. We spent the week with my grandma again because she has plenty of space and she's all alone in that big house. And who knows how much longer we'll have with her since she is now 94 years old. Staying with grandma isn't always easy though, because she keeps her house a little too warm for the rest of us and a lot of her food is usually expired. 

We drove to Nampa Sunday afternoon after we went to church, because that was our Easter program and Jack was speaking in our ward that day. Curtis and I drove separate vehicles so that he could go to work. In fact, he stayed that first night with us but left early the next morning to go work in Ontario and stayed over there in a hotel the next two nights. I wasn't really sure what we were going to do on Monday, but it quickly turned into a cleaning operation as I discovered weevils in Grandma's napkins when I went to use one! I found weevils and remains of them in all of the cupboards surrounding her fridge and freezer. We started emptying the cupboards and throwing food away that either had weevils in it or was just expired. It was mostly Grandma and I cleaning out the cupboards, but I recruited the kids to take turns helping and then later Dad and Laverne came over and helped. That certainly wasn't on their agenda that day either. I think we spent a good 3-4 hours cleaning out the cupboards and washing any dishes that were in them and wiping down the cupboards. We threw A LOT of food away along with paper goods. I had wanted to help grandma in some way when I knew we were coming but I definitely didn't think it would be this! I am glad that we were there to help. We were all so tired and didn't feel like cooking anything after dealing with bugs, so Dad went and got pizza. Then the adults played the card game Golf while the kids did their own things.

I am just going to summarize now some of the things we did that week since it's been a couple of months and it's difficult to remember everything. The kids got to see some of their friends over the next couple of days and I got to do some clothes shopping. On Thursday, we went to the Meridian Temple and did a bunch of baptisms. We went with both sets of parents and my grandma. Afterwards, we ate at the Olive Garden in Meridian. Since Alice isn't old enough to go to the temple yet, she got to hang out with her older cousins, Ellie and Livvie. She had a lot of fun spending time with baby Evelyn, baking cinnamon rolls and going out for a special drink. Ellie was kind enough to send me pictures.





Cousins baking cinnamon rolls! (And they were delicious!)

Alice and Evelyn

So that was what we did early in the day. In the evening we met up with Ricky's family at the Majestic Theater in Meridian to see the new Super Mario Bros movie. We all enjoyed it.

Jack's friend, Porter, tagged along with us as well.






Friday was our Wahooz day where we stayed from open to nearly close doing all kinds of things like laser tag, mini golf, go carts, arcade, bowling, etc. Ricky's family joined us the 2nd half of the day and Porter came again.

Mini golf

Go carts. I was pretty happy that Jack wanted me to ride with him.

Pizza for lunch


Wall climbing


Once again we saw a friend from Kennewick. We saw her the last time we went to Silverwood. Neither time did we know that she would be there. So fun that we happened to go on the exact same day!


The Twister ride. I rode once without the extra spinning but that was enough. Mine and Curtis's stomachs can't handle it anymore.


When we did our first round of bowling, the computer had a fun option that put silly faces on our pictures.







Curtis went on this ride once also and that was enough for him.

The Dark Ride. We shoot things like robots or zombies or something like that to get points. I won this round!

I did pretty well on our 2nd game of bowling with Ricky's family, with a score of 122!

Inside the Dark Ride (this is what we saw on a tv screen)

Go carts


Garrett won this round.


Saturday morning, we went over to my in-laws' house where they served us a yummy breakfast of French toast, sausage and fruit. Then they had gifts for us to open from Christmas and missed birthdays. 

This was not necessarily a gift, but it came in a package of miscellaneous items that Gaya thought the girls might like. Alice had fun with this dog costume.


Saturday evening, we went over to Ricky and Jenna's house for dinner and then walked to the park to play some games. Curtis's brother Nic and our nephew, Andrew, were also there. We played Frisbee 500 and then some Bocci Ball. It was a beautiful day for it, and everyone had a good time. Afterwards, I set up an egg hunt in the back yard for the 4 youngest kids while the guys were inside playing video games. 

I think the name of this game was Rock Band. These 3 were singing and Ricky was playing the guitar (you can't see him in the shot though)


Sunday morning was Easter. It was fun for the kids to have a new big house to search in for their baskets. However, the only kid I got a picture of with their basket was Alice. Since it was also conference weekend, we didn't go to church that day. After the 1st session of conference, we ate our Easter lunch/dinner and then hit the road for home since the kids had school the next day. 





It was a fun filled Spring break and I'm glad we made the trip again. 

No comments: