Thursday, February 12, 2009

Plugged duct

For all you nursing mammas out there I need your help. I have a plugged milk duct and need suggestions on how to help get rid of it. So far I've been able to keep from getting mastitis for the 3rd time and would like to keep it that way. Thank you!

11 comments:

Lindz_e said...

I remember going online and reading what to do.. I can't remember what I did but I got mine to go away fast =) I think I put a warm rag on it.

Unknown said...

Warm rice pack - possibly alternate ice and heat treatments, since too much heat will start inflaming the tissues further. But a warm rice pack (stuff an old sock with rice and nuke it for a minute or so... not too hot, but warm) and keep massaging that one spot.

Try "steering" baby's nose toward the plug while he's nursing - that will change the ducts that are having more pressure applied and maybe help, too...

Also, if your nursing bra hits that spot (or in front of it), leave it off - sometimes I'd get backed up in any "squished" place.

Make sure you're drinking enough water - it might help thin out your milk a little, to help things flow more readily...

Unknown said...

Oh - especially try a rice pack *while* you're nursing or pumping to relieve some pressure...

Vernie and Tony said...

Well that sucks!....or maybe it doesn't! LOL
Wish I could remember what to do but I DID get mastitis so I think I didn't know what to do! Good Luck! Hope the warm rice pack works cuz Mastitis is miserable!

Unknown said...

I have been there with Mastitis! And it stinks! Heat definitely helps, I don't know if you are pumping any milk but that does not help, it's just best to strictly nurse the first few weeks. And having the baby nurse in different positions helps. And they always say to lower your stress level but as if that is possible with no sleep and a newborn and two other kids :) I wish you the best!

Unknown said...

Oops the above comment is from Staci Rocha and not my husband ;) I must still be in his gmail account!

Shannon and Doug said...

OUCH! I hated that. I read this on the internet and I remember these things REALLY helped me when that happened. The key is MOIST heat and lots and lots of nursing.


Rest; treat your plugged duct like an illness. Stay in for a few days and cancel all appointments and activities until you get rid of the clog. Doing so will can help to avoid infection.


Apply MOIST heat by using hot packs or by spraying the affected area with hot water in the shower. Doing this prior to nursing aids in milk flow and may enable the mother to pass the plug.

Gently massage the area; you may be able to squeeze the plug out of the nipple pore. Use a breast pump. Try pumping for a few minutes after each nursing session if your baby was unable to relieve the plug.
Check for a milk blister. If there is a small white dot on your nipple, it could be a milk blister. This clogged nipple pore restricts milk from flowing freely and adds to the discomfort.
Nurse frequently and in different positions. Repeated nursing—through all the discomfort and pain—is the best thing you can do. Try nursing in various positions, too.

Heather said...

I don't have anything else to add except that which has already been said. Do get as much rest as you can, and I have noticed what when I wear my night time nursing bra in the beginning it helps a lot with not having these problems. I got Mastitis with Mason, but didn't have that trouble with either of the girls. Hope you find comfort soon.
Get a Preisthood Blessing if you haven't already. Those help everything:).

Jeremy and Brigitte said...

I didn't read everyone else's comments so maybe I'm being redundant. Heat pack. Massage the clogged duct (in a hot shower works the best) and most importantly NURSE through it even if it hurst, it gets rid of it the fastest. To avoid getting clogged ducts in the future try to let the baby completely drain each breast, which can take a long time. Brogan would nurse at least a half hour on each side at every feeding at first. I let him and I never got a clogged duct. I know thats a lot harder to do when you have other little ones to take care of at the same time. Oh an try to find a nursing bra without underwire, you shouldn't wear underwire for more than 8 hours while nursing it can block the milk I guess (I found that out at the motherhood store when I asked why they didn't carry underwire nursing bras there)

Stillman and Michelle said...

yogurt, eat it. I don't know why, I know it works. here is another weird one for you. cold cabbage leaves in your nursing bra, this is mostly for swelling and engorgement but it WORKS! its the perfect shaped ice pack, and it has some nutrients in it that are suppose to help according to The Doctors on T.V. .for the clogged ducked I am going to repeat what everyone else says. NURSE through it and make sure it empty's. Also massage your breast in warm water even though it hurts!

Stillman and Michelle said...

It also helped me when I was nursing to pump a little out first to relieve the pressure, Then the babies were more willing to eat without choking on the gush of milk.