Monday, May 18, 2020

Owyhee Virtual Adventure Camp

Normally the 5th graders at our elementary school get the opportunity to go to McCall, Idaho to Camp Ida-Haven for 3 days on an outdoor science field trip and this year it was supposed to be Jack's turn. Well this year everything has been cancelled due to COVID-19 so the teachers had to come up with an alternative. For the first and probably only time they had Owyhee Virtual Adventure Camp instead. The teachers put kits together that we picked up at the school, each class coming on a different day and at a specific time. We just had to drive up and the teacher brought the materials out wearing a mask and gloves. Anyway, the camp started on last Wednesday the 13th and went until Friday. There were lots of activities for them to do each day, some as a family. Although, Jack did most things on his own or with the help of his older brother Garrett because I was usually busy helping Charlotte with her school work.

Jack originally had set up a small tent in the backyard and was going to do his virtual camp out there but it pretty much rained the whole 3 days so that ruined his plans. Instead he created his own little corner that was his cabin/bunkbed since that's what he would have been sleeping in if he were in McCall. He pulled up the cushions around the foos ball table to make it dark in there.

Each 5th grader was surprised with their own camp t-shirt.

This is a science book that came in the kit the teachers provided. He also hung his little camping light up that he received as a birthday gift this year.


Great alternative when you can't have a fire outside due to the rain. Yes, they provided chocolate, marshmallows, and graham crackers to be able to have a s'more. Jack ate his chocolate separately since he preferred his s'more to be just marshmallow and crackers.

Jack and Garrett made this paracord bracelet together watching a video as one of their camp activities. He then gave it to me, which I love!

So it wasn't the big outdoor adventure that he would have liked to experience but I think he still had fun doing the activities. It will be several years before we have another 5th grader and I'm hoping we'll still be at the same school so that Charlotte will get this opportunity because not many schools in Nampa do this. I remember going to this camp when I was in 5th grade and I loved it!

1 comment:

Laverne said...

Way to go Jack! Making the best of a bad situation!!