Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Milo's First Days

(I started this post last Wednesday the 25th but have not been able to finish it until now.)


Well, we set Milo's crate up in the basement since there is more space down there. It was suggested that we have him in our room the first night (maybe even several nights) so he's not lonely. We decided that the girls could sleep in the family room with him on cots. He whimpered a lot and finally around 3:30am Charlotte came and got me. He had peed on the disposable pad that was in the crate but we took him out to try and go potty again. We put him right back in the crate after. He whimpered and howled more but eventually quieted down. The girls and I were exhausted. Good thing church is at 12:00pm. The girls both fell asleep during Sacrament meeting. I dozed off in Sacrament and Relief Society. I decided then that they were going to sleep in their own rooms that night. We can't have them that tired during school the next day. It's been exhausting (just like having a baby) on keeping him on a feeding schedule, taking him out to go potty and then exercising him. Sunday night was better though. We all slept in our own rooms while he was downstairs. I only remember hearing him once around 1:45am but then he quieted down again and slept the rest of the night. The last two nights he has slept through the night without any issues. I just have to make sure that when we put him to bed he's not in an excited mood. I wait for him to calm down in the crate and close his eyes before I leave the room. Last night Curtis tried putting him in there and walking away. That's when he started making noise. I had to go in and do it right, ha ha. But Curtis knows now that Milo needs to be calm before walking away. 

I have been watching dog training videos and Cesar Milan from The Dog Whisperer to get tips on training. It was been exhausting and I'll admit I even cried on Monday. It didn't help that my cycle was just starting so my emotions just couldn't handle it. Sometimes I would think things are going fine and everything will be good. Then I had moments where I thought, "what was I thinking?!". Funny, I had those same thoughts when I had babies also, but we got through it and I couldn't imagine my life without all of my kids. Having Milo will be good for our family.  We just need to get used to it and keep on training him. Speaking of training, one rule I had was that he would not go in our bedrooms. We have had our doors closed to keep him out. Whitney also helped me decide that we're going to train him to stay out of the kitchen. The gate we bought won't fit the big opening by the dining room but I put it in the hallway entry so we can at least block him from one way. It's tough trying to train him to stay out but there are moments that he knows and he'll just lay down right by the line and wait. 

Jack has even started softening towards Milo. He has taken him out for at least one potty break with Garrett and has played with him a little also. He and I are both not crazy about the dog smell we now have in our house but maybe if I get some scentsy type stuff, that will help. I used to have a scentsy burner but got rid of it because I didn't use it very much. Wish I would have kept it now. Anyway, another rule we are making is that he can't go on any furniture. Charlotte is sad by this because she wants to cuddle with him on the couch or her bed but I'm putting my foot down. It took me a long time to get convinced on getting a dog, especially a golden retriever, because Colby has one and there was hair everywhere. It drove me and Jack crazy when we stayed with them. One big reason I changed my mind was I found a grooming vacuum online and we bought it. The brush is connected to a vaccum and it can suck hairs in while you're brushing. It also came with hair and nail trimmers. I saw videos of people using it and it collected a lot of hair. So we're going to try it out.

He loves the toys we bought him.

Charlotte wanted to show the bus driver Monday morning. It was a sub, so her regular driver didn't see him until Tuesday morning. She's been so excited to show him. 

By the suggestion of Whitney and crate training videos, we moved his food and water to his crate. We want him to feel like it's his den. It's not just the place we lock him up and leave him. 

So we try to get him to take naps and play in there sometimes.

It's been a bit overwhelming but I think we're getting used it. The first walk we tried with him was a disaster because he wanted to go every direction. Sage followed us and he kept trying to chase Sage to play with her. Tuesday night Charlotte took him to meet her neighbor friend. Coco had showed up over there too. We think Coco killed a bird and then Milo got loose from Alice and Charlotte to chase him. When we brought him back over, there was a bird in his mouth! I had to pry it out of his mouth. Gross! I was not expecting that!

Just this morning, Curtis and I were getting ready to roll up the pool cover because the pool guys are coming today to help us winterize it. Milo was out there with us and he just waltzed right onto the pool cover and into the pool! Fortunately, the cover was still on or all of him would have gone under. He was able to turn right around and get back out with only the bottom half getting wet!


1 comment:

Laverne said...

Oh boy!! Sounds like you have your hands full. Your a better mother than I was. I made them wait till they had their own homes to get a dog or cat. lol I;m not cut out to take care of one. GOOD JOB DEEDRA~