Everyone knows that the economy is bad right now. Well, it's starting to take a toll on us. Curtis has had very little or no plumbing work in the past few months and there's nothing coming up. And the graveyard bakery job just isn't going to cut it. With the winter season coming up it's going to be even worse for the construction industry. So Curtis has found an opportunity to get some plumbing work and to make a lot more money. He has applied to work for a company called KBR that contracts with the military and sends workers all over the world. Well, the particular job he is applying for is in Iraq. And if he wants the money he earns to be tax free he will have to be there for at least a year :(
He is just getting some paperwork done and will have his dental checkup tomorrow. Then he will be flying down to Texas on the 5th of October where he will find out for sure if they will accept him to go ahead to Iraq. It will be the hardest thing either of us has ever done but we are looking at the long term goal. We both feel like this is the best route to take and we plan on paying off a lot of debt (cars & home addition) and saving what we can. We will at least get to see each other every day via web camera (which we don't have yet). And he'll get 10 days paid vacation every 4 months. Hopefully, they will let him come home for one of those vacations because then it would be right after the baby is born and he could see his family in person. We'll find out more details later.
His younger brother, Nic, is also applying and they are hoping that they can go together and be at the same base. It would make the wives feel that much better about the situation. Well, at least Celeste and I will have each other to lean on since we're pretty much going to go through the same thing. She has one child already and is also pregnant.
So now we are hurrying to get the house completely finished and get some other things figured out and organized before he leaves. We may need to recruit some help if anyone is available. We need to finish the trim work, touch up painting, and yard (need to get sprinklers in first). Will also need help moving furniture. Well....here we go!
( don't forget to see the post before this one with lots of pics of our continuing but almost finished home addition project)
14 comments:
Wow. I could never do that. I won't even agree to let Jeremy leave for a month long job. I hope things go ok. If you are looking for any other options Dominoes (with tips) pays pretty well. Its what has gotten us by for the past few years
:-(
I think that's a pretty good summary of Hubby's reaction... well, that, and "I wish was going with him."
But remember we'll help, too!!! :-) Sorry things have been so crummy lately, financially - I forgot to send that site over to you, but it's a good one, and I'll send it over now!
Love you!!!
Well, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do! (Quote from a movie) but in order to support his family, that's sometimes true. Scott took his new job for the same reason and it's hard but in the long run will be for the best. He won't be gone a year though! That will be hard. Thank heaven for the internet, web cam's and phones! We're all here for support and will do what we can.
Oh deedra, that will be hard but.. one year is so small if you compare it to the big picture. =) I know you dont know me all that well but if you ever need anything I am not to far away =) I think it will be a good experiance for both of you. You will learn a lot. Hope it all works out for the best.
Well, welcome to the club. We lonely wives have to stick together. It will be worth it in the end. On a lighter note, your house looks great!
so sad to see you go Curtis. Let us know how we can help the following year. If it gets to loney just come on over.
Ditto to what Michelle said.
That is so sad. :( I hope everything goes well. It does sound like a great opportunity though. Still sad. :(
Sometimes I find it baffleing how the Lord answers our prayers. I am sure that he knows what the year will bring, and you will both feel his love in this hard time. You have a lot of friends and family who are cheering you on. You will make it through this hard time. I admire your strength to even following through with this oppturnity. I would shut down and cry. Thanks for your example.
Deedra you have always been a tougher person then me! I know the Lord will bless you while he is away. In the long run it's great to be getting out of debt! I'm glad you live around a lot of family that can help and that he can get a lot of days off to come home when you sweet baby comes!! At least you will have a BEAUTIFUL home to enjoy! I think I put the same looking tile in my house- you have great taste! =)
YIKES- that is rough. I feel for you. But I bet it makes you feel wonderful knowing you have a husband who is willing to sacrifice so much for his family! (and you too!) Best of luck with it all!
You don't know me but I work in Iraq, if you have any questions I might be able to help.
I know my wife had many concerns.
Things happen for a reason.
cjgriffis@yahoo.com
I was excited to find your blog but sad to read the news that Curtis maybe leaving. You are tough..I do not think I could be that strong. Please let us know if we can do anything to help. Call us and we can help with yard work or moving and of course the kids.
oh landy, i'm not even sure what to say about this. i've always been so impressed with you both and so glad to have curtis in the family. talk about quality, you've got yourself a great man. thank heavens it's happening in a day and age where you can have such good contact, and thank heavens for the heavens to help in the hard parts, eh?
Post a Comment