Tuesday, June 23, 2009

An anniversary to remember!

That wonderful husband of mine has done it again, and it just keeps getting better each time. For some reason I was not expecting my husband to do anything for me for our anniversary. I didn't even think that he would send me a card. I should've been suspicious after what he did for me for Mother's Day but I had absolutely no clue that he was up to anything for our anniversary. I think partly because my thoughts were preoccupied with having a couple of sick kids and a baby who might be teething, among other things.

Anyway, originally I was planning on going out to dinner with my sister in law, Celeste, since both of our husbands are gone for our anniversaries. But then Nikki got pink eye on Friday and Garrett got it on Sunday. So I had to cancel. Well, my brother Stillman calls me up Sunday night to invite themselves over the next evening to start a "Harry Potter" movie marathon and that they were going to bring pizza. They didn't care about sick kids because their kids had the same thing earlier last week. So I hesitantly said yes.

The next morning did not go very well and I was beginning to get stressed out for several reasons. I thought "this is going to be the worst anniversary ever". Finally, the doorbell rings around 5:30 and I'm thinking Stillman wasn't supposed to show up until 7pm, so who could it be? Then one quick thought came that maybe Curtis was having flowers sent to me. Sure enough it was flowers, but a whole lot more.

My mom and dad were there at the door dressed up as "Special Agent Whiskey Delta" and "Special Agent Accomplis "Numero Uno". They presented me with my 2 dozen red roses and then Agent Whiskey Delta proceeded to give me special files and instructions and a couple of gifts. They then laid out my dinner table in front of the computer where I would be interrogated by someone via Skype on the internet. My kids were taken by them as "hostages" who would be returned after the interrogation.

They left and I went to the computer where I had a lovely dinner presented that included one of my favorite dishes, chicken alfredo, a salad, breadsticks, bubbly "sparkling cider", and custard. I pulled out my secret code word, "Mission Tango" and typed it onto the screen. Then Curtis called me up on Skype where we could talk and see each other. We both ate dinner together (it was 3 am for him). After we finished eating we played a couple of online games. One round of Wheel of Fortune and a couple of rounds of my family's favorite, Uno. It was a lot of fun!

Then I went to pick up the kids, driving my parent's car since they took mine with the kids. When I finally got all the kids in bed at the end of the night I read the last file which included a "SHMILY" (See How Much I Love You) card attached to a personal letter he wrote to me. It was wonderful!



My 2 dozen red roses. One broke off and so Nikki made that one her rose from Daddy and even made her own card for it that says "I Love U Nikki". And there's one of my gifts, a bracelet he had specially made for me with my name on it.


Here are all the special files that were given to me.


Mom and Dad's ID cards. Love it!


Here was my gift from my parents. A blown up picture of my kids that they had blown up and framed. I absolutely love that picture and am so glad they framed it for me. Now I can hang it on one of our bare family room walls. Thank you!

I can't thank my husband enough for all the thought and effort put forth to make our anniversary so special when he' so far away and we can't physically be together. He spent at least 6 weeks planning this. And thank you so much to my parent's and anyone else involved that helped to pull this off. It totally turned my day around and made me the happiest wife in the world. Mission: Accomplished!!! You did awesome!! I love you so much!!!!

For more pictures and details see my parent's blog "Mom and Dad Norton" on my blog list.

10 comments:

ChrisandTamara said...

That is sooooooo sooooooo sweet!!!!! What a great husband! I'm getting teary eyed just reading this. Great job Agents Delta 83, Whiskey Delta and Numero Uno. I'd definitely say the mission was a success! So glad you had a great anniversary!

ChrisandTamara said...

And good job to those working the safehouse too.

Vernie and Tony said...

It was so much fun! Glad we could help! It will one for the books! An Anniversary to remember!

Heather said...

sounds like a hit! how fun. it's the best when husbands really go out of there way to make us feel so loved and special. happy anniversary!

Amanda said...

that was so sweet, i got all teary eyed reading it. what a wonderful husband you have.

Heather said...

When Curtis has some extra time on his hand ;), can he teach my husband some tricks?

Happy Anniversary.

Celeste said...

Way to go Curtis!! I'm glad that it turned out to be a good day for you.

CPTA said...

That was way too sweet!!! Congrats! And Happy Anniversary!

Stillman and Michelle said...

The real Harry Potter Marathon will commence Shortly. Mom had a panic attack when it looked like you had already made plans with Celeste. We had to keep trying to call her to tell her she had to postpone your plans. We couldn't get a hold of her, so we had Stillman the excellent liar that he is, call you up. Lucky for me I can see right through him.

Heather Palmer said...

Wow did you find a good guy or what Deedra. I am always telling my husband that I don't really need big gifts for stuff I just want something well thought out to make me feel special. You hubby is a pro at that!! I hope this is that last anniversary that you will ever have to spend apart!