Thursday, April 4, 2024

Spring Break Fun Part 1

Spring break has arrived for our kids and I warned our girls that we would be deep cleaning their room during the break. It was SO bad before. This time I did get before and after pictures of their room. We started on Saturday and got a big portion done, but took a break. We did some more on Monday and then finished up on Tuesday. I'm so proud of the girls and how much they got rid of without me trying to convince them to get rid of it. Here are the "before" shots:






The closet wasn't actually too bad.


And here are the "after" shots. It looks SO much better! And the girls agree that it feels good to have a clean room.

I bought two stuffed animal nets to get their stuffies off their beds, the ground and the wall shelf. The girls are posing on their beds.




We cleaned out old clothes and a few shoes,

They left a few stuffies on their beds, mainly Squishmallows.


On Saturday, after taking a break from cleaning, the girls went outside and thought it was so hot. They always say it's so hot when it's only 60-70 degrees out. They're so funny. They keep asking when we're going to open the pool and I say not for a few more weeks. I did tell them however, that they could at least get wet if they wanted. They filled up a bucket and dumped it on themselves.

Charlotte had already dumped water on herself. Alice had a hard time getting the bucket up high enough.

But she did it!


Silly wet girls.

On Monday after the girls had gone through their toys and books, they decided to try selling them out front of our house. Lots of people were reading their sign but not stopping. I suggested that more people would stop if they sold lemonade or cookies. Not everyone has kids. We didn't have any lemonade, but we did have other flavors. Charlotte decided to make some cherry juice. Right after she brought it out, someone stopped for a drink. When asked how much for the juice, she would say "at least 50 cents". Some people were generous and would give them a $5 bill and said to keep the change. They did sell one toy item that day and several juices (I bought one too, for $1). They did it again the next day and we were shocked when a younger guy in his 20's or 30's stopped and ran back to get juice and gave her a $20 bill and he didn't want any change! There are some very generous people around here! They made at least $50 in two days. On the 2nd day they also sold a set of books for $10. It was basically $1 a book. I had asked them what they thought was fair. These books were alphabet, learning to read books and in great condition. I thought $10 was a good price.

Alice was in charge of the toys and Charlotte in charge of the juice.

I guess I will never doubt what can happen if I let them try to sell their toys again. They may not have sold many toy items and not even that many juices, but they made a ton of money for it! Even one person from our ward stopped to get a drink.

Charlotte has also been in the baking/cooking mood this week. She decided she wanted to make German pancakes one day, and the next day she cooked scrambled eggs for everyone (except Curtis who was already at work). She did a great job on both.

She's getting really good at cracking those eggs without getting any shells in the bowl. I'm so happy she wants to learn how to cook.

Other than deep cleaning rooms, this week has been pretty laid back so far. Although, I did have the boys mow the lawn for the first time and Jack also started some deep cleaning in his room. There's been a lot of video game and movie time. The girls have been watching their own movies downstairs in the evening while the adults and teenagers watched the Maze Runner trilogy (one movie each night). We had no idea when we started watching them that it was going to be a post apocalypse type of movie. It was like a mix of "I am Legend", "Divergent" series and "The Hunger Games". Honestly, I'm not crazy about those types of movies but I did see this one through to the end. Apparently, all of these movie series were based on books, except for "I am Legend" (at least I think). Anyway, we finished watching the Maze Runner series and I'm ready to watch a more family friendly movie. Maybe we'll watch Willy Wonka (the original) tonight since we watched "Wonka" on Sunday.

1 comment:

Laverne said...

WOW!! The girls did a great job on their rooms! I'm impressed that they made so much money selling their things and juice. That's awesome that people are so generous with them! Nice place to live!!