Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Spring Break Fun Part 2

 Last Wednesday I took the girls to Lego Club at the library. They have it every week and I have taken Alice once before, but this was Charlotte's first time. The theme was "library", but they could do whatever they wanted. Both of the girls had a good time. After they finished, they got to label it and put it on a bookshelf for display for the next week.

Alice's was "The Moving House" because it had wheels underneath.

Charlotte's was "A House with a Girl". 

Both did houses instead of library themes. 


Our primary president had brought over some stuff for the girls that were Easter related and one of them was ingredients and instructions to make "Resurrection Rolls". We have heard them called "Empty Tombs" also. Charlotte learned to do this with Michelle when we went to their house for Easter last year. The primary president brought them on Sunday after church, but we didn't get around to baking them until Thursday. The girls loved it! They were store bought crescent rolls and you took a marshmallow, covered it with melted butter and a cinnamon sugar mix; then cover the marshmallow with the dough and press it closed and baked it. The marshmallows melt away to leave the roll hollow. It's so easy and fun that it may become an Easter tradition for us also.







Curtis said he was going to take Friday off so that we could do something fun together as a family. We talked about driving over to Palouse Falls where Stillman and Michelle went the week before, but the forecast called for rain, so I didn't think we would enjoy it as well. Another idea was to go bowling here in town. Jack went to work with Curtis on Thursday and when they came home, they had the idea to drive over to Leavenworth to check out the German designed town. Jack is taking German in high school and so he was especially excited to go. The girls thought we were going to go bowling and got disappointed. We finally decided to try and find a bowling place over there and do both. So, Friday morning we got on the road around 8:30am to make the nearly 3-hour drive over. Word to the wise, there are very few rest stops. I had to hold it for a long time and was hurting by the time we got to Leavenworth. The two times I thought Curtis was going to stop (at a gas station and a cafe), he whizzed right by. We had a bowling reservation at 12:00 and I didn't want to slow us down by making him turn around. When we pulled into Leavenworth at a Safeway, I was able to go there. Afterwards, we discovered that Curtis had made the reservation in the wrong town. His reservation was in Leavenworth, Kansas! He had to call and get our money back. Then I looked again and there were no bowling alleys in Leavenworth, WA but there was one in nearby Cashmere, so he called and made a reservation for 2:00.

This was a spontaneous trip and there was no time to find a dog sitter, so we brought Milo with us for his first road trip. He did really well. There was no room for the kennel, but we did bring a crate that folds up and down for when we go inside somewhere. We didn't end up using it though. Instead, we pulled the two middle seats down and forward and just laid his bed down in the middle on the floor. He was a good boy and stayed there no problem. I was nervous that he would have an accident or chew something. When we stopped once to let him go potty, he wouldn't go. Fortunately, he did just fine and no accidents and no chewing things that weren't not supposed to be chewed.



Jack asked if I would trade him spots so that Milo wouldn't get in his face. I obliged.

This was the stop we tried to have him go potty, but he wouldn't go. There were no human restrooms, so not a good rest stop. Just a bunch of parking spots.

But the view was beautiful!

Since our new reservation wasn't until 2:00 we decided we better find somewhere to go eat. We wanted something different than the usual McDonald's or whatever. I found a crepe shop inside a little mall, so we went there. The kids loved their crepes, but it didn't fill them up. Since the bowling place is also a pizza place, we told them we'd get pizza when we went bowling. 








We both got "The Oinker", which had ham and cheese.


After we ate, we took off to look around. We had heard about a nutcracker museum, so we wanted to find that for sure. 

The girls found some maps of the town.

And off we went!



The Nutcracker Museum. We found it!



I have never seen so many nutcrackers of all shapes and sizes and designs.

We even found a Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and missionary nutcrackers. We saw another set of missionary ones in a different spot.

Like I said, all shapes and sizes.

Curtis got this shot across the street from the museum.

I posted a few more pictures from this place on my Facebook so I won't here since this post is already long. Curtis did not go into the museum because he wanted to check on Milo and get him out to walk him around. We were not there as long as I wanted because it was getting close to our reservation time for bowling. We'll have to make another trip over here again, but skip the bowling next time. And hopefully Nikki will be able to come with us.



I posted this picture because at the end of the first game, Garrett, Jack and I all got the exact same score of 96. How crazy is that?! And all I have to say is, thank goodness for bumpers or that score would have been a lot lower, lol.


Getting Milo out to walk a bit after we bowled.

When we finished bowling, I was adamant that we find a park because Milo had not gone potty since before we left home and I was not going to travel until he did go. We found a playground and the girls got out to play while I walked Milo around for him to go potty and get exercise. Fortunately, he did a long #1 right away. I was hoping for a #2 also just to be safe but he was not going to do it. I walked him around and even jogged a little but nothing. He must not need to go, so it was time for us to pack up and go home. The kids wanted to get home in time to watch a movie.

I sat in the very back with Alice on the way home. Milo doesn't know how good he's got it. No seatbelts and can move around.

It was a fun spontaneous trip but definitely too short and did not see enough, so we'll be back!

1 comment:

Laverne said...

I love the Resurrection bread. I copied the recipe. Very cool idea!! The girls Lego houses were pretty awesome. How fun is that? I nearly died laughing about the bowling reservation in Kansas!! That town looks so interesting. I'd like to go there sometime. The Nutcracker place looks so fun! Glad Milo did well on the trip and you didn't have to clean up a mess!