Sunday, September 1, 2024

School Starts Again!

Garrett and I took a quick trip to Nampa for his orthodontist appointment, just in time before school started the following week. We drove down Thurs the 22nd and came back the next day after his appointment. We stayed with Grandma again and played some Golf with grandma, Dad and Laverne Thursday night. After Dad and Laverne left, we watched Wonder Woman 2 while Garrett did the cycle machine. He's getting his last credit of P.E. by doing it at home. He needs to get 75 hours of exercise logged and take a competency test. This was great for him because he really didn't want to do any P.E. at the school where he would have to dress down. Now he gets to do whatever exercise he wants and when he wants. So, that's why he did the foot pedal machine while watching the movie and then we went to the gym the next morning with Dad and Laverne since they had guests passes we could use. We walked the track a couple miles and then did machines. Garrett just did the treadmill. Right after the Rec Center is when we went to his appointment and then shopping at Walmart. The doc says maybe a few more appointments to go but things are looking good.  Then we went back to grandma's to pack up and go to lunch with grandma, Dad and Laverne at Taco Bell, then hit the road back home.

We made this trip quick because Garrett was scheduled to take the driving skills test on Saturday. Unfortunately, on the way home we got a call from the driving school where he was to take the test and they told us they couldn't do the test because they're having trouble getting their business license renewed. Garrett was disappointed but I told him it would give him more time to practice. Garrett really wanted to get his license before starting school. 

Well, since we weren't able to do the test on Saturday, I told Garrett to have his dad take him car shopping so he can have a car to drive to school. Curtis calls me later and says they found a good car. I had no idea what it looked like until they got it home. This boy is going to be driving in style! It's a 2016 Buick Lacrosse. It had a lot of miles on it and a few small cosmetic issues but they were probably highway miles and it looked in good shape. It's our car but the boys will get to take turns driving it. Garrett's pretty excited! Maybe one day he'll buy it from us.



We didn't hear anything from the driving school on Monday, so by Tuesday morning I called them and they were still having issues. She said if we wanted to take the test somewhere else, that was totally fine. I left it up to Garrett. One reason I wanted to go to this place is because it was the cheapest and they gave us the option to use our own vehicle. ($50 to use their car, $40 to use ours) Garrett really wanted to take the test using our van but decided he didn't want to wait anymore. So, Wednesday morning I did some searching online and found another place that did walk in testing and was the next best price ($55). Other schools wanted around $70 to over $100 per test. There was no way I was going to spend over $100 for that test.

I was able to take him over that very same morning and he passed with an 82%. He only needed 80% to pass. Yay!!! From there, we drove straight to the DMV to get his license. Fortunately, we didn't have to wait long since we didn't have an appointment. I think it was around 20 minutes. We got his temporary license and then called the school about getting his parking pass sticker. We filled a form out online and then went over and got it. That was the same day that the girls started school, but the high school does a Freshman only day, so the boys didn't start until Thursday. Garrett got everything he needed just in time to start school the next day. It was his first time driving without an adult, just him and his brother Jack.

All ready to go to school!

And there they go!

I did get first day of school pictures as well. This time we walked out to our backyard so we would have a nice background and no sun in their faces. Garrett's starting 12th, Jack 10th, Charlotte 5th and Alice 2nd grade. It's going to be a great year!


Of course, Charlotte wanted Milo in her picture. Her shirt says "I axolotl questions". It has a little critter on it that's called an axolotl. It was perfect for her, because she really does ask a lot of questions!

Then both girls with Milo.


Senior year!

Sophomore year!



1 comment:

Laverne said...

Nice car!! You could have stayed longer had you know his exam was canceled. RATS!