Last week we were able to get Nikki in to take her written driving test at the DMV and she passed the first time. She had scheduled that one a couple weeks prior. We had no idea how soon she'd be able to do the skills driving test. As it turns out the first teacher we tried was Wally Lester and he wasn't available until after July 17th. He was a teacher at NHS when Curtis and I were in high school. The next person we tried was John Gregory. He too was a former teacher at NHS and one of my basketball coaches. His availability was much sooner, getting her in only two days after the written test. Mr. Gregory had us meet him at Burger King. Then he and Nikki got in our van and took the skills test while I waited at the restaurant. She did get marked on a few things but was able to pass!
The very next morning we tried going to the DMV to get her license. We got there and there was a sign that said if we didn't have an appointment that we needed to come back after 1:00pm because many of the workers were gone to a funeral. This is where an appointment would have come in very handy but no we didn't have an appointment since we had no idea when she would be able to do the driving skills test. We tried going back around 2:00 that same day and were told that it was a two hour wait. We couldn't do that since Nikki had to work at 4:00pm. We got online after that to look for available appointments and there weren't any for two weeks! She did not want to wait that long and either did I. We finally decided that we would wake up early Tuesday the 6th of July (since they were closed on Monday) and get over there before they even opened. Everyone seemed to be thinking the same thing because even at 7:40am there was a line of about 20-30 people in front of us. By the time we got inside to get a ticket number they told us the limit was reached for people inside so we had to wait outside. Nikki was really hungry and wanting breakfast since she hadn't eaten. She wanted me to leave and go get food. I was worried that they would text my number to come inside while I was gone. I finally conceded and left the paperwork with her while I drove over to Jack in the Box. Sure enough, as soon as I was driving down Caldwell Blvd they texted me. I had to call and tell Nikki to go ahead and get inside. The line was a lot shorter when I got back in and they let me go in where Nikki was. It was a good thing I made it back because there was one form I had to sign since she is a minor. Total we were only at the DMV for 1 hour so it wasn't bad. It helped that it was morning time too so it wasn't near as hot.
But yay! We finally got her license! Well, a paper copy for now until the real thing comes in the mail but she's finally official to drive without a parent. She has been enjoying driving around with her friends this week. It's nice not having to drive to Caldwell if she wants to spend time with her boyfriend Alex. I was still pretty nervous letting her go the first time but she's been fine so I have relaxed a little.
![]() |
| Nikki in the room at the DMV taking her written test. |
![]() |
| We celebrated her passing the written test with a blizzard treat at DQ. |




1 comment:
So proud of Nikki! She's a sweetheart!!
Post a Comment