Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Our 19th Anniversary

 Last year we did so many fun and different things for our anniversary but this year we didn't really know what we wanted to do when the day came around. Ultimately we decided we wanted to keep things simple and take our time. We didn't want to rush from one place to another...just go with the flow and decide as we go. We finally at least decided to start our day by going to Boise to play frisbee disc golf at Ann Morrison Park. It had been years since we last played there. I was worried about it being hot but there were lots of trees to walk under so it wasn't as bad as I thought. We did all 18 holes with a rest break after hole 9. It was definitely not my best game but it was still fun. 

Before we started our game.

Getting ready to throw.

Just after finishing our game.

By the time we finished it was around 2:30 I think and time to get some food. We both felt like eating at Pita Pit. The location moved over closer to BSU instead of downtown. It was still yummy! The owner even gave us a BOGO coupon (buy one get one free).  My pita was so big for me that since I ate the whole thing that was my lunch and dinner! 

Now that our tummies were full it was time to go see something new or at least something maybe we hadn't seen in years....the Idaho State Museum. There were many neat things to look at there and not nearly enough time to read about it or see it all in the two hours that we were there. 

Native American artifacts.

In the basement they had some neat stuff for kids to do. This is a little train station and you can climb into the train and push buttons to blow the whistle.

And here they could do some mining. They stick some dynamite (fake of course) into the wall and then push the blaster down and it creates a loud explosion noise. Then behind the wall they would pick up rocks and put them in a train cart. There were lots of other fun things to do down there also. 

I saw the name on this cap and had to get a picture.

Posing in front of more artifacts. Everything in there is obviously Idaho related.

I had to get a picture of this snow mobile. Wow have they changed!

We'll have to go back there again sometime since there's way too much to get it all in one visit. We stayed until they closed at 5:00pm. When I took the girls to the zoo the week before I had seen these paddle boats nearby and I thought that would be fun to try so that's what we did next. It was fun and even though it was hot, it was cooler when we were near the water on the boat so it wasn't too bad. It was also starting to get a little breezy so I put my hat on just in case. We paid for one hour and that's really all we needed.  You paddle down a stream a little ways and then you come out into a pond and then turn around and go back. There were lots of geese and ducks swimming around. We saw all kinds of sizes of fish swimming in the pond. Some were huge and some were babies. The coolest thing we saw though was a blue heron bird.

It helped that the boats had covers on them.


It looks beautiful but if you look close at the water it doesn't look like something you would want to swim in. Too dirty!

The geese stayed away from us but the ducks were happy to come close and even go under our boat! I think they were hoping we'd throw them some food but alas we didn't have any.

The pond. We circled around the whole thing.

There's the blue heron in the bushes. When we first saw him he had scooped up and ate a fish out of the water.

At the end of our ride we had one of the workers take a picture of us so we could see the whole boat. We were lucky and got to ride in one of the newer ones. He said they are really busy on weekends but since we had gone on a Tuesday we only saw one other boat out there and they finished before we did. It was nice having it mostly to ourselves.

I knew from the beginning of the day that I was going to want ice cream at some point. I told Curtis I was too full for dinner but that I really wanted ice cream so we drove back to Nampa and went to Stella's, across from the library. Little did we know that just a couple days later I would read an article from one of the radio stations that said Stella's was the number one place by voters in this area to get ice cream...and we had just eaten there! We have only been there one other time before that. Curtis had gotten the salted carmel the first time and I think that turned him off of going to Stella's because it tasted good at first but having a whole cone of salted carmel was just too much. It was good but it was just too much. Of course he got different flavors this time. I also learned that there are now two other locations in the valley, one in Eagle and the other in Boise. I thought that was pretty cool since it started in our town of Nampa.

I got chocolate peanut butter and cookies and cream. Curtis got the blue mystery flavor which he thinks was huckleberry and some other fruity flavor. I can't remember. They were both good! We also saw that Stella's not only makes their own ice cream but they make their own cones. Pretty cool. I'm sure other places do that too but this was the first time I noticed. 

After our cool delicious treat we headed home to watch a movie since there wasn't anything in the theaters we were interested in watching. We also thought we were going to be taking Garrett to go mow Sister Cleverley's lawn but as we were driving home a storm was approaching. By the time we got home and were about to load the mower it started to rain and we saw lightning. We had to "strike"😆 that idea. He would have to mow it the next morning. So while the storm was going on outside we were nice and cozy watching "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Crimes of Grindelwald".

We really enjoyed taking it slow today and just rolling with whatever we felt like doing. There are many things to do around here, we just need to look. It was a great anniversary! Next year with it being our 20th we're hoping to take a trip somewhere since we went to Australia for our 10th. We haven't agreed on where yet. I would personally like to visit Hawaii. Curtis would rather go to some place else that's tropical like Thailand or something. I don't know that I want to go out of the country until Covid is way over. Maybe it will be fine by then. Who knows. It was weird to think that this year I graduated 20 years ago. It's also weird to think I've been married this long. Wasn't I just a kid like yesterday?? Time flies when you're having fun! (Not that we haven't had our share of struggles either). I'm looking forward to more adventures!

1 comment:

Laverne said...

Your Anniversary sounded fun!! We pick one thing and call it good! I liked the whole date idea!! Maybe we'll try that next year! lol